CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

insulation

b454rat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I finally have a 30x40 garage. It's a metal with wood posts and trusses. It's not done yet, still waiting for the doors to be installed, 2 8x9 overhead insulated. Ice on the ground, so couldn't install em on the 13th. Looking for the best way to insulate it, other than spray foam, anywhere 5-10k for that, and would have to wait till warmer weather. Since the wifey paid for the building, least I can do is pay for most everything else. The posts are 8' on center, trusses are 4'.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I framed walls between the posts. Insulated with off the shelf bats. Ceiling I installed 1/2" osb and blew in 9 inches of insulation. 30x40 pole barn, 10' ceiling. Cold heat it to 60* with a wood stove with outside temps at 0*

b454rat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have leftover 2x4s but don't think it be enough to do whole thing. I want to install windows at some point too, framing it in will make that an easier task. I'll have to see what blown insulation goes for, mine is pretty much same as urs, so attic is bout useless with 10' walls and 13 or 14' at the peak.

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

b454rat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah won't be hard to do that. Biggest bitch is the cost. The garage was $5k more than the quoted price thanks to the scandemic. But it wouldn't be hard to do, and since can use regular rolled insulation be cheaper. Plan on doing heated concrete floor, so that should make in nice inside!!!

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Heated floor with no insulation is just stupid. That floor should cost a bundle. It was $12k to have installed with the entire system.

b454rat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The floor will be insulated, as well as the rest of the building. Concrete wasn't too bad, 2800, neighbor has a friend that does concrete, waiting for him to come up and look at it. If bought new, the 2" foam is bout $1200, but can get used for almost half that. Mesh is couple hundred, as well as the Pex. Not gonna get done in a weekend for sure....

Top Bottom