CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Into the rabbit hole of EFI tuning. ( Speed density/VE )

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's just the display axis so you can see it in 2D, the red and blue lines, which match the red and blue numbers at the top, are the actual up and down shift points.

The gray lines are from the other shifts, and the black line is the WOT shift for that gear.

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ok I'm starting to understand it more, so how do you get it to shift and downshift at a certain mph?

Sorry about the noobie questions.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Change the blue and red numbers at the top, or drag the triangles in the red and blue lines, they both do the same thing.

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't think I'm asking the question right.

With those numbers, how do you know when it's going to shift? if you are looking at the far left, say for instance my screen shot. The trans will try and shift into 4th gear at 23 mph-109mph? Then if I'm half throttle at 77 it will down shift to 3rd?

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Think of it this way.... your TPS%, or load, will determine at what speed it shifts or downshifts at from the chart line.

The more throttle, the higher the speed it should shift to keep it in the correct RPM range for how you are driving.

So in your capture, at only 10% throttle it will shift at just 25 MPH, and at 60% throttle it won't shift until 120 MPH.

To be honest I would change that, no reason to shift to OD at 25 MPH at any throttle really.

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Now this is starting to make sense.

Watching this video and you explaining that is helping me understand exactly what that table is.

My plan with the way I set it up was to copy GM's table and use it in the holley, I really liked the way it shifted then.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you click on the help within the Holley software it explains every parameter anywhere in the software. It really helps understand exactly what it does straight from the source.

From help...

1640205220647.png

1640205324194.png

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I knew I should have brought my personal laptop into work today, can't download the Holley software on the work laptop.

I think my best bet is to load the Holley base tune and adjust it. I really appreciate your help today, this makes a TON more sense.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you use the handheld to do a wizard, it should create a base trans tune for your gearing, WOT RPM, and tire size to start from. Although its just as easy to fix that one.

It would also erase your paid engine tuning so save that if you do it so you can load or paste that part back in if you want.

Babaganoosh

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you use the handheld to do a wizard, it should create a base trans tune for your gearing, WOT RPM, and tire size to start from. Although its just as easy to fix that one.

It would also erase your paid engine tuning so save that if you do it so you can load or paste that part back in if you want.
I was going to pull the SD card and re enter in the trans base that holley suggests and combine both.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
With a laptop its pretty easy to copy and paste entire charts if you only want to change a couple charts and leave the rest of the tune the same.

jekquistk5

Weld nekid
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I hear ya there. I'm in the same boat! I can't own a rubics cube and be okay with only finishing one layer. Luckily the Holley system is set up to be pretty easy to use but, I want to get to the point where I can have my learn compensation at 10%. And do all my changes myself when I notice a problem area and then tune correctly for power adders when the time comes for a pro charger or supercharger.

:whistle:

I stumbled upon this publisher of books when I was re assembling my LY5 with AFM. I was very impressed by the small clear font, key information and reference points. And figure it's trust them again when it came to trying this Avenue. So far I know this book already has more than I'll understand in it so I'm happy. Here's the book as reference. It is geared more towards speed density than MAF but still explains maf systems. The same author published another book focusing on MAF systems.

View attachment 396624

Greg's books are great, and his classes are too. I find grabbing GM tunes and other tunes off of HP tuners repository, helped me tremendously when learning to tune. Just comparing two files and seeing the differences.

Top Bottom