CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Jason Payne (August 2, 1982 - August 23, 2007)

CK5

In my underwear
Administrator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Jason Payne (August 2, 1982 - August 23, 2007)

Jason Payne passed in a senseless drowning accident that occurred on Thursday August 23, 2007 near Lake Tahoe.

Please use this thread to share stories, post pics etc. and to show your respect.

CK5

In my underwear
Administrator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
RIP Jason, you were a great young man that will be missed!

AJMBLAZER

Better to be lucky than good.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Never got to meet him personally. Talked to him through PM's, emails, this forum and others for a while now. Watched as he went from a talented but unsure-of-his-skills average joe to the fab superstar who created the truggy we all were in awe of. He was one of those people that I regret not meeting but at the same time the fact that I never did meet him in person in no way dims the respect I had for him and his talents or his warmth and "e-friendship".:o
He was always helpful and always had advice, just about always right too. Yeah Jason, you were right, those speakers didn't fit...:crazy:

My favorite story about him relates to the CrewCab that became the truggy. Way back when he first got it and it was pretty much unmolested Jason decided to go bomb around on some 2 tracks he found and then while doing that came across these big fields full of wet mud. Tore all over through them, almost got stuck, and then drove off.
Only to pass a sign that said it was some sort of a project where they were using recycled waste (human) to try and make grass grow on the scrub land.
He started the SAS swap shortly afterwards so guess what dried up substance was dropping on him every time he was under the truck?:D

big94gmc

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Regardless, although I never knew him, or spoke with him in any manner, I did follow alone with his incredible builds, and lived vicariously through his off-roading. I feel he is one who has definitely left a legacy. R.I.P., brutha....you have touched us all.

Last edited by a moderator:

dogdaysunrise

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Wow. 7 months older then me. RIP man. Show them all how awesome of a guy you are, where ever you are now man.

4X4HIGH

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
R.I.P Jason Payne

I first met Jason at Frank Raines back in 2003 when his CC still had a stock body but had IIRC 38" tires and the SAS done. He was out somewhere and the tires had hit the front fenders so he pulled out the sawzall from his trailer and started cutting the fenders. I remember watching videos off the side of his trailer that night as well.

I've been keeping track of his recent build thread and the amazing fab skills he had and just wish that i had half as much energy as he did.

Jason, you will never be forgotten.

Esteban86K5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Dear friends of Jason:

I just wanted to let all of the people who are remembering Jason with such fondness that they are really appreciated. I had no idea that my son had touched so many people. I was always very proud of Jason and the human being he had turned out to be. Jason never was one who wanted to stand out in a crowd or to be noticed, he was just happy to be doing what he loved – Jason had always set goals for himself and was very good at accomplishing most everyone, if not all, of them. He got so much pleasure out of turning thoughts and ideas into reality especially when it came to fabricating parts for his beloved truck. He was most happy when he was covered from head to toe in machining oil, metal fragments and old dirt from his truck. His dad and I will always have the fond memories of Jason working on his truck in our driveway totally covered with parts & machinery, making sure he always had plenty of water to drink and shade to work under. Again, we really appreciate all of your kind words about our Jason and we will cherish them forever!

Just one more thought. Please tell people you love that you love them! I always made a point of telling Jason that I loved him especially when he was going on an outing. What all of you do is fun and exciting, but also very treacherous; you just never know what might happen. Jason would get very frustrated with me because I called him so much to check on him but I knew that there was always a possibility that something could happen. He was really good about calling me back and just letting me know that he was OK and having a great time. So please, if at all possible, wherever you are call and let the people who love you know that you’re OK.

Love you all, Jason’s Mom

Esteban86K5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Hey Guys, this is Jason's brother. On behalf of myself and my family we want you ALL to know that this is amazing. We all see what is going on here, and on all the other boards, and I want to tell you guys that we do cherish every kind word that is written. I can not believe how many people that he has touched. I want to thank you Esteban, never met you brother, but you have helped more than you can imagine. Well I came onto the boards to really find out what happenned, and couldn't believe what I found a group of "dirt guys" that have some of the biggest hearts in the WORLD! Goiing through the pictures is amazing! This is a side of his life that we only heard about....but it was his LIFE! We the family of Jason Payne thank you for everything said. Please paste this onto the other various boards that are in the group. It's appreciated. Ken Payne

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I just recieved an email from deus. He isn't a member here but wanted to add some pic's to this. I'll just paste his email here for all, then put up the links he sent me.

This is the message:

I went to high school with J and wheeled and road shotgun with him for 10 years. I read through every post here, norcal, socal...and its amazing to see how many people he touched.

I was working with J a couple days before he left for the con to get some old photos I took of Noel. I never knew I would be searching my cache for photos of J also.

I am not a member of this site. Could you please post these links in the appropriate places. Thank you,

First link: Jason pics http://picasaweb.google.com:80/deusww/RIPJason02

Second link: Dozer pics http://picasaweb.google.com/deusww/Dozer

Noel%20and%20Jason%20Memorial.jpg

Rene

Avery4jc

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I never had the honor of meeting Jason in person but I was blown away at basically everything he posted in his numerous build-up/modification threads on multiple sites...

The idea that he was a young man not but a few years older than myself and was able to do such amazing work was an inspiration to me and made me work as hard as possible and act as a sponge at the machine shop I work at hoping some day I'd be able to do the things he did.

I don't know how to put anything else into words other than that. He will be greatly missed but God got himself one of the best fabricators on the planet...just wish we could have kept him longer :(

My prayers go out for the Payne family.

Psalm 34:18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

Last edited:

thezentree

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I never met Jason personally, but I remember harassing him constantly about his build back when I was a n00b. I am still to this day blown away by the fact that regardless how stupid my question was, Jason would always take the time to sit down and type out a long and detailed answer. He was (and is) such an inspiration to me and it really hurts to know that he's no longer with us.

RIP brother.

surpip

1 ton status
Reaction score
I first met Jason at blazer fest in 04, or 05 I'm not sure, he was an awsome dude, and invited me to come along on the Rubicon trip he was planning. He was a great guy to meet and hang out with and wheel with for my first Rubicon adventure. I was hoping to have many more with him and the rest of the Nor Cal crew, and i am unbelievably up set that this will not be the case. He was the last person in the world i would have thought something like this would happen to, and it saddens me greatly.
Happy trails brother
you will be missed by many.

BoondocK5

Chevrolet Bone Collector
Premium Member
Author
Reaction score
I just don't have the strength to read these anymore. Everytime I get to reading this, I get all choked up and the tears start flowing.
I didn't (by any stretch of the word) "know" Jason.
I think I responded to a few of his build posts, but, I did follow his builds intently. That was all. But, I did take notice of what a nice guy he was and how he always answered questions with out any of the attitude we commonly see on the net.

What a fine example he set for those around him. I only wish that I could be half as kind and considerate of others as he was. The Wheeking world lost one of it's finest.

Like I said before, I don't have the strength to read these any more it's just too heart breaking to hear any more...:(

I'm gonna try to smile and enjoy CK5 and carry on, I think thats what Jason would want us all to do.

thatK30guy

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You think God took Noel at first because He wanted him to build the ultimate crawler?
And then when Noel took the job, he realized he couldn't do it alone. So maybe God had His reasons to call up Jason for the job.

Only because Noel wanted Jason more than anyone else to help him.

If thats the case, I'm jealous. Those two are in a much better place now.

Until then, take care Brothers. See you on the other side someday. :bow:

cbbr

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
He died in a place that he loved, surrounded by people that he loved, doing something he loved. He inspired and at times amazed many of us that never had the opportunity to meet him, and obviously touched those who did. R.I.P Brother.

sandawgk5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Never met him in person but I did e-meet him through PMs and his awesome build threads. We even called him when we were out at Truckhaven just to ask him how to make Sobe Bombs because our way was not working, it was like 10PM and he did not hesitate to help us out. He even thought up new ways because we did not have the correct bottles:D .

He was an awesome fabricator as is evident by his rig and his build threads and he was an even greater and more awesome person.

You will be missed Jason

Ira

stallion85

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I met Jason the lat 2 years at Blazer Bash in Moab. He was a great young man. I think everyone aspired to be like him, whether it was his fantastic fabricating skills or his always willing to lend a hand to those in need.

I am truly saddened that he was taken so tragically and offer my sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

May God rest his soul......

Craig Artzner

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have never met Jason in person but have seen his work on the forums and his phenomenal abilities in the realm of 4x4 tech, not to mention his easy approachability and friendly attitude towards others. Hats of to you, Jason, you will be missed greatly. :(

:bow:

Top Bottom