Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Jimmy Vibrates When I Slow Down?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mybeast, Feb 27, 2001.

1. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

When i'm slowing down, about 15mph or slower. I'm getting a bad vibration, it shakes the whole truck. It happens when I brake and when Icoast, it's really bad when I brake. I can barely feel it when I coast to a stop.Any ideas. Could it be u-joints
    When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

www.mybeast.coloradok5.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mybeast on 02/27/01 09:20 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

Sounds like warped rotors...even when you are coasting because floating calipers never fully release...Is the vibration more or less when braking, might be a good determination. Could be scalloped tires too but yo would feel that at any speed...
    Eddie

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bad rotors causing shaking (during braking especially)should really transmit the vibration through the steering wheel pretty well also.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

There is no Vibration in the steering wheel. It feels like its coming from the drivetrain, but I can't be sure.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

www.mybeast.coloradok5.com

5. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

You running Boggers or something big like that? Those bigs hogs like to shake at lower speeds. I would say its a u-joint or ball joint.Have someone stand on the brake and click from D to R a few times to check the U-joint or axle slop. Raise the front up and grap the front wheels and pull back and forth toward you to check your Balls ( ball joint heh).And finally with the steering wheel unlocked and the truck not running, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth, this will let you see if anything is loose under the front.Welcome to the "sOLiD AxLe sHaKeS cLuB".Also check your steering dampener for the heck of it.Later....

One From None

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

DON'T FORGET TO LOWER THE TRANSFER CASE!!! I had the exact same problem with my '79. I lowered the transfer case by using the factory spacers right above the crossmember and that fixed my vibration problem. Mine happened right at 20mph and would increase as I slowed down. You didn't mention if your truck was lifted, but if it is, that should be one of the1st things to check. It only takes about 15 minutes to lower it. Mine has a 4" Rancho lift. That vibration was A NAG!!! Check that out!