CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Just another burb. (Holy cow, I made progress!)

Little lower, little cooler, bigger sounds.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I picked the engine up, got the mounts past each other and I realized I had forgotten to take the starter off :doah: .
It caught on a frame mount, engine couldn't go up any more, and I couldn't get it to go back any more.
All the while I have trans fluid coming out.
So I fiddled with the starter trying to get it out, (not happening), and thought maybe the drive shaft is hanging me up because it was angled into the tail weird.
Took it out. Still pouring trans fluid.
Then realized I couldn't slide it back because the trans had gotten caught in the rear coolant lines lol. Unhooked it, pushed it back, got starter out, then pulled it the rest of the way out.

When I set it on the floor it leaned forward and puked a ton of antifreeze :doah:.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know... My dumb ass JUST now thought, "why the f*** didn't I shove the catch pan under the trans tail shaft while I messed with the starter?".
Fork do I feel dumb lol.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I pulled the engine out... And I haven't touched chit since :doah:

I had a brief moment of uncertainty about the transmission.
Which pretty much halted me.
The trans that it has worked great coming out. It is the older design 4l80 that has both cooling lines at the front of the case. The one I got with the engine has the updated case with the cooling line returning right into the planetary gear. But I don't know anything about it.

I'd hate to put it in and find out it needs rebuilt. So I waffles about it for a while.
Newer model, better cooling and lube, has all the bolt holes on the bellhousing to mate to the LS, Etc.

But since I don't have the $$$$ to rebuild it right now, I'm sticking the old trans back in. Except for the shift indicator sensor, which I can change easily, all the sensors and plugs are the same.
So I'll put the old one in.

Now I just have to clean it up, swap the one sensor, swap the converter, and get it bolted up.
Been getting nice enough out that I'm having a hard time staying in the shop long enough to do anything lol.

I need to dig some crap out off the one wall of my shop, and clean that area up some before I roll the burb back in too.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not much progress in my book. But getting the engine/trans together has been my plan like 6 other times that I've came up here and all I ever got done was BS and beer. :doah:

So it's a huge step closer lol. Got the burb back inside for some wire loom and other clean up too.

IMG_20210607_195411981.jpg

IMG_20210607_202711450.jpg

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Started separating the wire loom. Id guess most every wire going to the old computer is useless now. :dunno:
I'm labeling the bundles separately. Trans, engine, AC, etc. I'll leave them long for now.
I need a fricken electrical dealer service manual for this thing. Wonder how hard that'll be to find lol.

I'm not going to tidy up the wiring or remove any of them untill I get it running, and all the things work. Then I'll trim out unused wires and slide the loom on.

IMG_20210610_214942003.jpg

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that this thing is a 408,000 mi diesel lol. Every thing I touched, wires included, hand my hands instantly black. Not a dirty black, but an actually deep shiny oily black like a phone screen :doah: .
Hence the hand wipe bucket that I went through a bunch of lol.

I need to get the Father inlaws pressure washer again. Hose this thing out carefully. I'm going to put the dynamat (or equivalent) firewall insulation where I can.

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that this thing is a 408,000 mi diesel lol. Every thing I touched, wires included, hand my hands instantly black. Not a dirty black, but an actually deep shiny oily black like a phone screen :doah: .
Hence the hand wipe bucket that I went through a bunch of lol.

I need to get the Father inlaws pressure washer again. Hose this thing out carefully. I'm going to put the dynamat (or equivalent) firewall insulation where I can.
Showing it's Detroit heritage right there. Any Detroit Diesel will make you blacker than black!

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
On another front, I realized that if I spend a couple hundred bucks on wood, I can get the sub box done, amps mounted, rear battery in, and the rest of the stereo wiring done while I gather money for the rest of the motor swap.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

Big Ray

Doing O.K. For An Old Fat Man!
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know... My dumb ass JUST now thought, "why the f*** didn't I shove the catch pan under the trans tail shaft while I messed with the starter?".
Fork do I feel dumb lol.

Nah...

Doing that then telling us about it should make you feel dumb!

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well. The burbs back in the shop, the engine/ trans are in front of it. And there's a part coming in the mail... But no, :doah: not really. .

Top Bottom