CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Kayaks and canoes

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I got …:dunno:

…a yellow one?

No seriously, all I know is one came with the house. It’s a Pamlico 135T with a rudder. Through the powers of Google-fu I’ve learned it’s a 13.5’ tandem. Updates after I get a chance to get it into the water.

BAA918DA-DED2-4211-B05C-CDB9A45E051C.jpeg

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Anyone build a cart for hauling your canoe to the water? Something to save dragging it across the parking lot. I know I could buy one but they seem expensive for what they are. I’m thinking about doing something like the one below. I’ve got some leftover 1” PVC and a few fittings. Harbor Freight is right down the street for wheels/tires. Can’t imagine it will cost more than $25-30 depending on if I can find a coupon for the wheels.

joshuak

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone build a cart for hauling your canoe to the water?...

Yes, built something similar to what was shown in video for the 14' Old Town canoe. Either the canoe was to heavy or the design needed some triangulation. Haven't tried it with a kayak, have found it easier to just put it on my shoulder and walk.

*pics if I can find it when I get home.

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, built something similar to what was shown in video for the 14' Old Town canoe. Either the canoe was to heavy or the design needed some triangulation. Haven't tried it with a kayak, have found it easier to just put it on my shoulder and walk.

*pics if I can find it when I get home.
Cool. I’m looking to haul a 13.5’ kayak on it. It weighs 75 lbs empty.

joshuak

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t find it, either hiding under the leaves or it’s been repurposed. I’m thinking I may have caused the problems myself by making it taller than the one in the video, it was about 1.5-2’ above the axle.

Look forward to seeing how it works for you. You’ve got some beautiful waterways to explore.

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Couldn’t find it, either hiding under the leaves or it’s been repurposed. I’m thinking I may have caused the problems myself by making it taller than the one in the video, it was about 1.5-2’ above the axle.

Look forward to seeing how it works for you. You’ve got some beautiful waterways to explore.
I’m really excited about it too. I’ve done a few rental kayaks there over the years.

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Finally got it into the water today. Wife and I had a blast. I guess we’ve been together long enough that we could paddle without arguing. (Truthfully we rented tandem kayaks before without any issues.) Lots of spots to explore, today was tame, more of a shake down run than anything. Can’t wait to make some longer trips.

1692994A-C72C-4666-A6AF-64CDD7C974B0.jpeg

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I remember my wife and I on our honeymoon we tried tandem kayaking. We’d been married maybe 32hrs and were contemplating divorce. She told me she was searching for sharks to dump my body in the water. We agreed to never do that again.
The first time we did we had been married at least a decade. I still don’t think it’s ideal. But for a new couple it’s relationship suicide.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember my wife and I on our honeymoon we tried tandem kayaking. We’d been married maybe 32hrs and were contemplating divorce. She told me she was searching for sharks to dump my body in the water. We agreed to never do that again.
You think that is bad.
Try white water rafting when you're dating.
Almost didn't stay together.
Now 17 years later, I just let her do what she wants and let her complain about the results and how it's my fault.
:pimp:

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
We had a 60's vintage slide in camper with manual jacks and sketchy structural integrity. We hauled it in our Super Duty and the wife and I joke that every time we unloaded that camper we almost got a divorce. :haha:

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Kind of double post because the pics are in the PAD thread. Finally had a high tide at the same time we wanted to launch. This does really well in the marsh but gets less stable as you get to bigger water. I’d still like to a pair of fishing style kayaks for the stability (& to fish from).

91D65BF3-C7DB-4CE7-9545-E725DD4645AA.jpeg

6CB0672D-03FF-4495-B97A-4D7ABDE2E0A5.jpeg

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The first time we did we had been married at least a decade. I still don’t think it’s ideal. But for a new couple it’s relationship suicide.

you guys are making me miss my ex - we loved taking the canoe out. she never really "carried her share of the weight" as far as paddling goes.... I usually put her up front and had to compensate/steer depending on what she was doing up there...

used to drop it in the water and paddle across one of the local bays- tie up and eat dinner at a restaurant... bottle of wine for the way back in the evening.

never had an argument over the canoeing... there was the one and only time that we flipped it though. There was a picture i took an hour or two later of the "i hate EVERYTHING" look on her face... eating a burger, still soaked head to foot... with cell phone, keys, and wallet still chillin at the bottom of the bay somewhere.

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I bought a float for my truck keys the other day. Been lucky with the tides for the most part so still haven’t built a cart. My daughter and her BF bought a pair of kayaks and left them in our garage. They picked some nice ones, both are ride on top style. We were going to rent some for the weekend, but they wanted to buy a pair. He got a really nice Old Towne that is an updated version of the one my uncle has and recommended to me. She got Vibe that is more of a value brand, but at some point you need to consider the budget. She doesn’t know it, but I’m going to pay for her’s.
Four of us headed out together and unfortunately I didn’t know he had never been in one before. My kids have a bunch and I just assumed he had as well. Kind of felt bad that my other daughter and I paddled off without them. Next time I’ll try to make it up. Some pics, note the trusty stick for pushing off the oyster bed - AC92344A-E264-4269-BD2F-839BCDF3020D.jpeg 4707FCEA-D5A5-486D-A3B9-133FBD5B8174.jpeg

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I had the Vibe (the green one)out the other day. It did really well on the open water. Probably not what you’d want for running rapids, but for cursing the shallows it rocked. Plenty stable to reach back and grab stuff out of the cooler behind me. Got things out of the front dry storage but felt a bit wobbly doing that.
Overall I like it, but not 100% sure it was worth the price. I probably would have went with a Pelican. I’ll try out the Old Town another time.

2F9E8CC9-D584-4B55-98D1-5F265DAB2367.jpeg

Top Bottom