CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Kelly Flats 11/21 - Northern Colorado -trip report

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Planning to run Kelly Flats on Sunday, 11/21. All the hard stuff can be bypassed. It's the most challenging trail near Ft Collins.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Meeting at King Soopers on North College in Ft Collins. 1842 N College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80524

Will be departing from there at 9AM

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Video of me going thru the chutes.

The excitement was a early 2000's Toyota Sequoia that got busted up on Heart Attack Hill. The first 2 photos @doubletrouble posted are from that obstacle. He believed he busted the rear ring and pinion as well as breaking a front axle shaft. I don't know what the club would have done if we hadn't been on the trip. Jason pulled the Toyota up Hearth Attack.

We left him at a wide spot in the trail and went on to play on the chutes. We came back and towed him back down to the parking lot (end of the clip above), and loaded the Toyota on Nate's trailer. Nate drove Raggedy Ann, I drove Nate's tow rig, and the owner of the Toyota drove my crew cab since it's the closest to being a street vehicle. Of course Raggedy Ann doesn't have working tail lights, rear brake lights, or rear turn signals so we had to keep him in the middle of the pack. The Toyota guy lives a few blocks from our sign shop and it wasn't horribly out of our way. After getting the Toyota unloaded, we closed down a nearby Mexican restaurant and then headed home. I rolled in about 9:30.

If it wasn't for Nate offering up his trailer, I think that guy would have been paying for a tow bill or begging for someone to haul him home.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I should add a little to the story to shed light on why I said "I don't know what the club would have done". There is a bypass route that avoids Heart Attack Hill and most of the club took that route. Nate, Jason, and I had started up at the tail of the smaller group going up Heart Attack Hill. Everyone ahead of us when all the way around the obstacles up the easier path. However near the top, there's no choice but to take the difficult stuff which is where the Toyota broke.

Meanwhile the 3 of us were playing around on the true obstacles of Heart Attack. The group ahead of us had been sitting stopped for quite some time near the top. No one was talking on the CB so we just figured it was taking them a long time to make it up the final climb. Eventually we decided the turn back down Heart Attack and head around on the bypass.

We met up with the rest of the club that took the bypass. They were waiting at the junction where the Heart Attack Hill path meets back with the bypass trail. They hadn't heard anything either and after sitting there a little while, Nate & Jason decided to take the truggy over to the top of Heart Attack Hill and see what was going on. From there you get the video above with Jason pulling the Toyota up the end of the obstacle. So in all that time we sat and waiting on Heart Attack, then drove all the way around the bypass (admittedly not at a slow pace), and sat for a few minutes at the junction; they hadn't done anything about recovering the broke Toyota until Nate and Jason showed up.

That is very good karma, good job guys.
That's what we were saying. We should have some good wheeling karma in the bank. :D

Top Bottom