CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Lift Kit ??

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hmm.. so a 4" lift would be 14"? I read 16ish" is a 6" lift

A 4" lift should measure roughly 12.5" between the top of the front axle tube and the bottom of the frame, 12.5" - 8.5" = 4".

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
A 4" lift should measure roughly 12.5" between the top of the front axle tube and the bottom of the frame, 12.5" - 8.5" = 4".
I thought you measured to the bottom of the front bump stop bracket, which I guess is the same.

When I measured mine and sent pics to ORD they said I have a 4" lift but now I'm thinking it's 6" or it was.

I have the shackle flip in the rear with zero rate ORD springs and lift springs up front. When I measure top of axle tube to the bottom stock bump bracket I get 14"

57FFD787-E327-4ACC-98DF-1521FF7AE657.jpeg

5E9A0A5D-AC88-46C1-9B88-2EB65BA4505C.jpeg

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the bottom of the frame and bump stop are basically the same. In the thread I linked above we specified the bottom of the frame.

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the bottom of the frame and bump stop are basically the same. In the thread I linked above we specified the bottom of the frame.
Yeah according to some numbers in that thread, I have a 6" lift... weird why would ORD say I have 4"? I've ordered everything from them according to that lift height.

Hate to hi-jack this thread but this has me intrigued and confused as to what lift I actually have.

Regardless the truck runs fine with what I have.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
My well used 30yr old fronts are 11" to frame. The back is 14" but is shackle flipped with 1 ton springs sans 2 leaves, and 6" hd shackles

MrHappy

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For bang for the buck....
Tuff country 4 inch springs
Ord or diy4x shackle flip with stock height springs.
Bilstien shocks at all corners.
Will ride good, from there you can build off of it and upgrade as you go.
I’ve heard & read a lot of good things bout Tuff Country springs, figured I could inquire to all y’all here in the 4x4 world. Your opinion’s & experience with all the different brands, before I purchased my lift kit.

Joel Wilson

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard & read a lot of good things bout Tuff Country springs, figured I could inquire to all y’all here in the 4x4 world. Your opinion’s & experience with all the different brands, before I purchased my lift kit.
I will tell you what I have on my Jimmy and you can take it for what its worth.

I do not have a traditional lift kit. I have stock springs with Skyjacker Add a leafs all the way around. Shocks are Monroe coil over load adjusting shocks all the way around. Supposed to be good for an additional 1100 additional pounds per pair. The Jimmy sits at GVW fully fueled, so 6400 lbs. I run 35x10.50 tires which actually measure at closer to 36". My rims DO NOT have the right offset so I had to use wheel spacers to get the tires to clear the rotors. I bought the same kind that is used on dualies, just not as thick. Mine are 1.5". Tires rub a little when axles are flexed out.

That being said, the Jimmy rides as soft as my wife's Honda Pilot with Bilsteins and the roads here in NorCal absolutely suck. The Jimmy sits high enough to where I can turn over underneath it without ripping my shirts. Me personally, I don't like lifting anything sky high, changes the center of gravity and makes it hard to run through orchards or the woods.

MrHappy

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know about Jimmy’s I had a 73, back in mid 90’s. With just add a leafs up front & 1.5” blocks in rear-with Monroe coil overs also. Manual 4 spd with granny low. Had run 33x9.5R15 . BFG A/T. That truck could go Anywhere, Wished I still had it.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya rear lower leafs are twisting, overload & next two up. U-bolts are not close enough to perch . Yes I believe the shocks are cheap too .

my fronts do that- I have realigned them a few times when the axle was unbolted for various reasons- the smallest springs at the bottom of the pack have the through bolt, but nothing else capturing them or holding them with the springs above. not sure if it affects handling. have always wondered if the factory springs were wider and thinner and filled the space between the spring pack and u-bolts?

500$k5

wallet under gas pedal
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My '78 has 1" lift using zero rate blocks, and my measurement is 9.5 inches to bump stop bracket. Def a legit measurement to check actual lift.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Wow my 4" lift springs are 9.5" ish, saggy old springs guess I need to change them. I just measured this, while at @TJ1978 to compare our tucks. Tj1978 truck is 11.75". Talking fronts here.

cheavyk10

5.slow
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Okay I'll play. I get about 13". The front on my K10 has 20-year-old Tuff Country EZ Ride 4-in springs, ORD shackles (1/2" longer than stock) that net 1/4", and a Dana 60 which has perches about 1/2" taller than a 10 bolt.

Top Bottom