Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MA yearly inspections....LOUD exhaust....antique???

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by Leadfoot, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 1980 K20 is now sporting a 496 cubic inch stroker that runs 14:1 compression and dyno'd just shy of 700HP with the head and carb restrictions we have to run (hoping to get over that this year). Basically the truck just runs in truck pulls and the occasional car show, but at $750 for a drum of fuel I don't "joy ride" with it.

I still want to keep it registered and inspected for the occasional trip to the local car show and if something were to happen to it (for insurance), but the exhaust is LOUD. 2" primary fenderwell headers to 3.5" collectors, 4" straight through "mufflers" and 4" pipes combined with the high compression makes for awesome sounding but LOUD exhaust. The truck is 100% operational and safe. Stainless lines and new brakes front and rear, lights, horn, parking brake, etc all work. With all the safety stuff for truck pulling it's safer than 95% of the vehicles on the road.

I was wondering if antique vehicles (it's over 30 years old) are exempt from exhaust noise as I was thinking of registering it as antique, or if I'm screwed.

Any help is appreciated.

2. -stew-

-stew- 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does Mass have "hobbiest" plates? Here in Wisconsin you can get hobbiest plates for modified vehicles. I think they have to be over 20 years old also. We also have "collector" plates for cars and trucks over 20 years old. Both come with restrictions and are good for ever (no annul registration.) While we don't have vehicle inspections here, we do have emissions testing. You have to pass the emissions test to get your collector plates, but after passing that initial test you never get tested again. I don't know if this applies to our hobbiest plates.

3. Richcz28

Richcz28 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Antique plates are the way to go. My 84 Camaro insurance is like $175 annually. You pick a value you want to insure for. I'm insured for 6k.

If your truck idles quiet and has visible mufflers, I don't see any reason you won't pass inspection. If I passed Mass inspection twice this year with my truck, I don't think you will have a problem.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Antique plates have drawbacks ...they must be renewed yearly,not every 2 years like passenger plates,so it costs more...cops in some places are anal,and will follow you around and pull you over,and demand to know where your going--technically the plates are only intended to be for vehicles coming or going to a car show,cruise nights,parades,or to a repair shop...

Yes,99% of the time no one bothers you,but I know people with them who have been hassled enough to go back to regular passenger plates...your vehicle must still pass the same yearly inspection as any other vehicle too..(and the price for a sticker ,is going up in July to 35 bucks !--plates will go up to 60 bucks also for passenger plates)..

You might be able to insure an antique cheaper thru a "classic" car insurance company,but you must send them an appraisal and photos and they have the final say as to whether your vehicle will be accepted..a typical "compulsory" insurance bill here is about 450-500 bucks a year...for a car thats parked a lot,thats a lot of money..

You could put some "silencer tips" on the exhaust pipes or stuff steel wool in the pipes to temporarily quiet the noise down till you pass inspection..

Your best bet is to find an inspection garage thats not a stickler for checking things thoroughly,many let older vehicles that only need "safety" inspections slide when it comes to a rumbly muffler or some other minor infraction..it pays to "know" someone!..usually you can find someone who'll be hard of hearing ,if you catch my drift!..a six pack often goes a long way when it comes to passing or failing inspection..many inspectors simply will say "It was quiet when I inspected it--RIGHT? "...:D..
    ---but things aren't as easy to get around as it used to be,the RMV wants them to be on camera during an inspection I hear soon,if not already,which will make it a lot harder to get a sticker..no more cheating..

5. Richcz28

I didn't need an appraisal. I mailed in some pictures and told them the amount I wanted the car insured for and they said ok.

I think it's saving me about $700 annually for a car I rarely drive.

6. diesel4me

Every company is different...my older brother has a total of 6 vehicles registered and insured,4 of them are antiques--if not for the "classic" car insurance place he uses,he'd have to shell out about 3 grand to put them on the road for one year...

I dont know exactly how much it costs him,but its 1/4 of the usual price for "compulsory" insurance,which pays YOU nothing if your vehicle gets totalled,unless it was the other persons fault..knowing how many people living in MA dont have a licence,never mind insurance,you had best have a good policy that covers collision on an antique or you'll be screwed..

Most of the inspection places I knew I could pass "easy" at have closed up,the owners died or gave up doing inspections when they went to the dyno test,so now its getting tougher each year ,but most of the guys I've gone too the past few years are so happy to see someone who needs NO emission test come in,they usually just check the tires,ball joints,horn,wipers,and slap on a sticker,and I'm out of there in ten minutes..:D..where as a later model car with a check engine light on might be in the bay an hour or more..

A few places I got stickers at insisted I have them "fix the tail lamp bulbs" when I knew dam well they worked perfectly 10 minutes before I pulled in the inspection bay-- or made me buy new wiper blades from them,before they would let it "pass"at a cost of 20 bucks,which I thought was a dirty trick,seeing I only had 30 bucks on me and I had no choice but to charge them on my visa to get my truck back,they had already installed them without asking too--it was either that,or else go home with a "reject" sticker,when the blades on the truck weren't 4 months old and nothing wrong with them..

I paid the "ransom" reluctantly,but they did let my rusted e-brake cable slide,and that would have cost more and been a hassle to install,so I didn't have much choice--I haven't gone back to those places since though..

I see many clueless people get rooked at inspections--especially women...one garage is famous for sticking something in the cigar lighter socket and popping the fuse,then they tell the customer they "cant do the test because there is no power for the tester" or it sets off the check engine lamp...then they tell them "we can fix it,but you'll have to leave it here"...then they replace the fuse ,shut the CEL off,and the sticker ends up costing the customer 200 bucks,instead of 29...glad I dont own anything with a CEL any more..frigging theives!..

7. Richcz28

The ****ty part is you are screwed to the place you go to from the get go when they send you out with a rejection for any of the things you listed above. ie: wipers, bulbs, etc.

Even if you say this is bs and walk out, you still have to go back to the same shop or pay for the sticker again someplace else.

8. POORBOYK5

POORBOYK5 Poor and homeless Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You all need to fine someone that lives out of state! Register with them. Moving to Colorado was like winning the lottery for me. No annual inspection with the exception of diesel emissions within city limits. We do have yearly renewals. Antique plates are good for 5 years. registration costs are slightly higher depending on the vehicle. No excise taxes to forget about paying every year cause they come separate. All our taxes are done at renewal. Another sweet thing is storing your vehicle. For instance, my blazer hasn't moved in a year. I cancelled insurance on it. I can stil leave it registered, where as mass will cancel your plates!

9. diesel4me

If I ever made it to CO,I'd probably never come home...for several reasons like you listed...and....:smokin2:...FREEDOM to do what you want,at last!..:D