Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Make my old frame into a bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not knowing any possible place to get steel tubing or thick steel plate in large pieces, I got to thinking.

What do you guys think about using my old frame to make some bumpers from?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't see anything wrong with it. Might be nice except for all the holes.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I could draw out my idea. I'm thinking of extending the front frame horns out about 12" by bolting a piece of the old frame on there. Then make a flat surface on the top of it to mount a winch. I'd use some of the longer straight sections near the rear or the middle to make the front piece. I might even be able to slap a big piece of plate on top to stand while I'm working on the engine.

This outta turn out pretty good. I do know how to weld, but I've never welded anything structural except in class.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds nice

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

have you checked with machine or welding shops, (if there are any by you???). I had to get all of my bumper material from places like that

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is that stuff expensive though?

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Build(s):
    Have you looked in your local Yellow Pages under "Steel"? Pay close attention to the places with names like "Pacific Recycling" because they probably will sell good used steel for 1/2 the cost of new steel. I usually pay $0.30-0.45 per pound for clean used steel.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

steel really isn't all that expensive.your idea is cool though,just don't make it to heavy and drop yuor front end. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not really, when i did mine i spent about 80 bucks on materials and it was done.(After a bunch of head scratching and looking)

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Give Central Steel and Wire a call....I have been in their building, and they have about any kind of tube you could ask for....

I am not sure if they sell to just individuals. They are located just North of you in the Windy City....

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just wish I had a good plan. I've been thinking about it and I just don't know how to design it.

I don't care how heavy it is, I'll buy new springs to make a good bumper work if I have to.

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hell, I'd leave the muffler's and tailpipe's on for that, "Crush Zone" effect. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Didn't want to continue a heist on the supersizek5 post. Are you still thinking of chopping the frame up to make the bumper? You could cut a relatively straight peice that is the width of the frame rails, remove the bottom of the C-channel so you could angle the bottom in like a skid plate, then hammer the top down flat again to brace anothe peice for a frame mount then plate the sides for strength and add bolts front and back. Its minimal but would get you what your after. a little more of the same could build sides onto it.

Going fresh steel would make design a bit easier - take some scissors and a cardboard box and a bit of ducttape and make a mockup in place on the truck first... then when you flatten the cardboard out, you have a template to cut from.