Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

military boot break in

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 18, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I was issued a pair of combat boots from my unit,and was wondering how to break them in other than soaking them in hot water then walking around for a while with 2 pairs of socks on.anybody got any tricks?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wear them for a week, that's what i do with new boots.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I just suffered through it Justin. 10 yrs later I still have scars on my feet from it. LOL! Your lucky, I didnt have the option to wear them when I wanted to and break them in. It was here put these on, youll be wearing them everyday all day. LOL! And I think it was soak them in hot water and wear them till their dry. That could take a while.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Always wore them around garrison for a week or so. And I always had a stockpile so the boots that went on road marches or the field did not get worn in garrison and vice versa.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Whenever I got issued new boots (total of 10 pairs, I still have 2 pairs that have never been worn) I would take them down to the local cobbler and have him put on some good soles. It's not very expensive and it makes a big difference over the rock-hard soles that they come with. Then I would clean them up and wear them on a road march or just take a walk for 10 - 15 miles. It warms up the leather and stretches out the tight spots. After you do that, let them dry out and put a nice brush shine on them.

Don't spit shine your boots if you plan on wearing them for extended periods (extended field training and everyday use), it will destroy the leather. I only kept 1 pair spit shined. Those were for special formations and inspections.

In Basic Training they had us put on our PT uniforms with our new boots and stand in the shower. When we got out we went for about a 10 mile run through the woods. I don't know it it really helped the boots but it sure did tear up our feet!

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Soak them in rubbing alchohol and then walk them dry w/2 pairs of socks. Then put a good mink oil and conditioner in them, set them near a heater and oil them a second time. They will be water proof and soft. This is what I had to do everytime I got new fire boots in the forest service.

7. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

We were always instructed to wear our boots for like 2 days straight after using the soakin water method. I did this, which sucked. Try runnin down to the surplus store and buy a pair of jungle boots for like 20 bucks, they're more comfortable and will wear in faster, plus they also breath better than standard issue combat boots...especially in florida. Good luck high speed!

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. SGT ROCK

SGT ROCK Registered Member

I have always used saddle soap (you can get it at the PX). his softens the leather up and allows it to stretch to fit your feet. Makes them last longer too.