CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Most hassle-free EFI system?

red EOD

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fitech worked better (think it was a fuel problem that caused me hassle) and less trouble than sniper(nothing but trouble for me) But proflo 4 for the win for me. But if you or anyone want to try sniper or fitech pay shipping. There yours. Of course original poster gets dibs. But I have no use for them. Paid my dues and not gonna sell something I had a problem with. Just sitting gathering dust. Don’t want anyone thinking I made money off of something I knew didn’t work for me and doesn’t for them. May lack O2 sensor as they use the same.
If OP passes I'm interested in the sniper.

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fitech worked better (think it was a fuel problem that caused me hassle) and less trouble than sniper(nothing but trouble for me) But proflo 4 for the win for me. But if you or anyone want to try sniper or fitech pay shipping. There yours. Of course original poster gets dibs. But I have no use for them. Paid my dues and not gonna sell something I had a problem with. Just sitting gathering dust. Don’t want anyone thinking I made money off of something I knew didn’t work for me and doesn’t for them. May lack O2 sensor as they use the same.
I’ll take the fitech if he passes

Kain

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I had Fitec2 years no trouble, then the ecu fried i replaced it. and it didnt run right so i called tech support. he told me i didnt install it right and that i needed to have a professional look at it. i said for 2 years it ran fine ecu fried get back and it wont run right could the sensors be fried too? his response was no i just dont know what i am doing. after i replaced all the sensors it ran good. but i swapped to edelbrock pro flo 4 and i dont regret it

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. Since i'm unsure what the hell i'm going to do, then i pass to the next person. i don't mind paying for a system, just not sure which way to go.

Now, IF no-one takes them, then i'm back in the running.

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any reason to avoid the factory TBI for a 4.3?
Not sexy, but pretty reliable

i'm just not clear on how they work with nitrous. And, i don't think they are self-learning in the same sense as FiTech, Holley etc.? Or maybe they are......?

i wonder if/how the GM system works if you change cams, heads etc.?

But if it wasn't for that, i would definitely go GM. i have a tbi car that has over 340,000 miles. Original injectors, throttle body and fuel pump. i mean, it probably needs a new pump now because i left it sitting for quite a while, but it did go 340,000 miles on the original pump. Never broke down. That's dependable.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. Since i'm unsure what the hell i'm going to do, then i pass to the next person. i don't mind paying for a system, just not sure which way to go.

Now, IF no-one takes them, then i'm back in the running.
Looks like they are spoken for if you don't want them.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
No worries. Your thread said hassle free and these were not that for me. HaHa. Just thought I would throw it out there as these have been in way. Good luck with your project. I’ll keep watching as I had been thinking of putting that same engine in a old jeep I’ve had out back.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Older thread, apparently nitrous isn't that hard to run with TBI? I didn't read all of it to see if they know what they are talking about though. TBI Nitrous

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
In my opinion the most hassle free for a V6 would be a Terminator X Stealth system, or possibly the MSD Atomic II, but I don't normally recommend the EFI with the ECU built into the throttle body, like FITech, Sniper, etc.

I think swapping a LV3 in would be a huge upgrade, but I don't see how that wouldn't be a hassle dealing with the factory wiring and interconnects?

For a V8 I think the least hassle would be the Edelbrock PF4, because it includes everything but the fuel pump, regulator, and plumbing. It even includes a new distributor thats already locked out. Although I can piece that together from Holley and then you have more capability with true self learning.

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the most hassle free for a V6 would be a Terminator X Stealth system, or possibly the MSD Atomic II, but I don't normally recommend the EFI with the ECU built into the throttle body, like FITech, Sniper, etc.

I think swapping a LV3 in would be a huge upgrade, but I don't see how that wouldn't be a hassle dealing with the factory wiring and interconnects?

For a V8 I think the least hassle would be the Edelbrock PF4, because it includes everything but the fuel pump, regulator, and plumbing. It even includes a new distributor thats already locked out. Although I can piece that together from Holley and then you have more capability with true self learning.

Normally, i would shy away just for that reason. But i found a place that sells running take outs, in kit form, pre-wired including ECM and lift pump; Apparently the LT's use a mechanical pump for the direct injection and the electric pump is essentially now a "lift" pump.

If not that, Howell and others sell harnesses specifically for the 6 (along with the 8's). i THINK all you need is 12V to the fuse panel/ECM. 12V for ignition and 12V for the elect pump? It's not as complicated as it may seem-----even a schmendrick like me should be able to handle it?

This MAY actually be more "plug and play" than carb and distributor. Because it's all dialed in/programmed in already. Fuel and ignition curves already set. No fiddling with carb "tuning", ignition etc.

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I hope you are right, I would be pleasantly surprised if it was that easy, you make it sound like you just need to hook up a 12V wire for the HEI and you are good to go. I imagine a lot of work sorting out what you need and what you don't with the factory computer, but if they have already done all that work for you for a reasonable price, that would be easier than a normal DI swap.

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right, I would be pleasantly surprised if it was that easy, you make it sound like you just need to hook up a 12V wire for the HEI and you are good to go. I imagine a lot of work sorting out what you need and what you don't with the factory computer, but if they have already done all that work for you for a reasonable price, that would be easier than a normal DI swap.

This the place i'm referring to:

So, it looks like i would need to possibly extend the wiring/fuel lines in order to adapt it to my chassis, but all the "figuring out/sorting out" has been done. It does look that easy---at least from initial observations.

Considering it's already pulled and setup with ECM, wiring, and fuel pump wise, i think $3700 is an ok deal; i priced out just the engine alone at salvage yards and some wanted $2000 and then you'd still have to get the computer, harness, fuse box etc.

But, something weird/wondiferous happened today just out of chance; i think my problems may be solved. i don't want to mention it right now, a) for fear of jinxing it, and b) so as not to come off as bull's hitter. i will reveal all when they're done with it.

i am still turned on by the LV3 though; The "old style" 4.3's like the one i have are about 425lbs. The LV3's are all aluminum---heads AND block, so i'm thinking 360lbs. ish?

285hp/300tq in a 350lbs package. Also, it's already E85 compatible which will make close to 300hp.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would guess lighter than that for the V6, but I don't know for sure, depends on what you include. I tested a stroker 402 LS2 with aluminum block and heads I ported and a TBSS cast oil pan and cast intake, and it was 357 lbs without accessories, cranked out 590 HP on premium pump gas. Then 742 HP with a small shot of nitrous through one of my nitrous volcanos using the Holley Terminator X EFI.

I have another customer about to top that with a stroker LS3 we are building, should have more power and be a tad lighter.

I would think the V6 version would be lighter.

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would guess lighter than that for the V6, but I don't know for sure, depends on what you include. I tested a stroker 402 LS2 with aluminum block and heads I ported and a TBSS cast oil pan and cast intake, and it was 357 lbs without accessories, cranked out 590 HP on premium pump gas. Then 742 HP with a small shot of nitrous through one of my nitrous volcanos using the Holley Terminator X EFI.

I have another customer about to top that with a stroker LS3 we are building, should have more power and be a tad lighter.

I would think the V6 version would be lighter.

i'm just guestimating 350 pounds, but it may very well be lighter----i'm thinking closer to most 4 cyls. Maybe closer to 300 lbs. Shorter than a 4 cyl and about the same width.

The intake on LT's are plastic?

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, factory intakes are plastic, we had a cast aluminum 4 barrel style EFI intake on it, we were testing Volcano inserts.

Top Bottom