CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Mounting a MSD ignition box inside cab...

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
Hey, Im thinking about upgrading to a MSD ignition and im not sure about the future with my rig, if it will still be DD or trail only. So To make things easier, I was thinking about mounting my ignition inside the cab, by the tranny hump. Has anyone done this before? Im doing this because if it does turn into a trail only rig, I dont have to rewire it into the cab later and so I dont have to worry about it getting wet in the mud. Pics would be great /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Don

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
That's a really good idea, to keep it away from the heat of the engine compartment, out of water, mud, goo.

I think MSD sell's a harness just for this reason, just longer, still plug's in like the rest of it doe's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

k20

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
it works by sending multiple sparks to the plug at rpm under 3k (i think its 3k) and helps w/ complete fuel burn. Also lets you open gap up on plugs for more power. Just installed mine (underhood) today, got more throttle response, and i opened my plug gap up to .060 from .045.

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
Mine is under the hood, it has gotten really dirty with no issues.

I'm putting it inside though, behind the glovebox, and next to the ECM when I go EFI.

BlazerGuy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
If your going to the trouble of mounting it inside, mount it higher than the trans hump. Like behind the glovebox or something like Tim said...

Don

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Yep what Blazerguy said, pull the cardboard glovebox liner and see if it will fit behind there, no feet/boot's will be pulling on or yarding out wiring that way. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
Good thinking, last thing I need is someone accidently smashing a brand new ignition. Thanks for the repplies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Top Bottom