Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Much Help for a new K5er please

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 8BaLL, Jun 13, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

ok fellas we have a 1985 k5 blazer. I have decided to get rid of my 99 ford ranger and redo my blazer. I am wanting to put some decent tires say 36 inchers on the blazer. I want a suspension lift for sure. I do not really know what all i will need though. can someone tell me what is needed for me to put 36 inch tires on? I know i need a suspension lift but will I have to do any cutting and will I need anything else? I plan on getting news doors and a new tailgate and having my fenders repaired as they are rusted. I am going to replace the seats with some seats that recline. Does anyone know what year blazers started to have seats that recline? will it be hard to switch the seats out? I also plan on ripping out the carpet and putting rhino lining on the inside. Once that is done I will add a stereo system and exhaust and then go for a little engine work. Please help me with anything you can as I am very new to off roading and remodeling older cars. thanks in advance

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

You might want to post this in the second generation forum, but I will give my $.02: I have a 6'' lift with 35''s and they only rub when I really beat the crud outta my rig (8'+jumps). With 36''s and a 6'' lift you should be fine with the possibility of some very minor fender trimming. If the body isn't in the greatest condition, you might consider a 4'' lift and a bit more cutting of the fenders /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . This will allow for the big tires, and keep a lower center of gravity and create less driveline issues than a 6'' lift. Don't quote me on this /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif , but I am pretty sure that '86 was the first year with both reclining seats. They should bolt right in place (4 bolts each) of your existing seats.

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Also, fill out your profile to let us know a little more about you and your truck. Also someone may be near you and willing to help out! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

5. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys. My fenders are pretty bad. Would it be better for me to just cut them for more tire room? Are my fenders going to look good or will they look not so good? I am wanting this car to be an everyday driver but also an off roader. I am going to redo everything including a real nice paint job. I just want everything to look perfect but who doesnt? lol I dont know I guess I am just kind of worried what the end result will be if the fenders are trimmed because once they are gone they are gone! Are there any pics of trimmed fenders I can look at? I am all for trimming if I can see what it looks like because I am sure trimming them will cut down on a lot of my body work bill /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

if your fenders are in bad shape you can get some replacment ones for around $99 each. www.jcwhitney.com

or LMC (long motor corperation)
    keith

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

8Ball,

Welcome to CK5....you'll be hooked in no time! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Many of the questions you have have already been answered, and you can find them by doing keyword searches in the message boards (Try '73-'91 section first)

There is also a "Technical Articles" section that you may not have found yet on this site. It has lots of good tech stuff with photos and step-by-step instructions for some of the commonly done stuff (Like fender trimming!) Click the "Technical" link up top and you'll be amazed.......

Welcome aboard.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm going to defer to the already posted info, it's pretty much right on.
    There are a LOT of ways to go with the fenders and they're pretty much only limited by your imagination, personal taste, and budget.