My weekend. (Or "Installing the doubler!")

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Jun 30, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My weekend. (Or \"Installing the doubler!\")

Well, here is how I spent most of my week end.
    Installing the doubler

Main page

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: My weekend. (Or \"Installing the doubler!\")

NICE!!!....I'm jealous...

3. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Damn! That's PRETTY. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BadDog

Here are a few other things I am considering.

1) Hook up the "kick down" to a manual switch (like a choke cable). Then, if I want "performance parameters" just pull the plug. Complete control, and I don't have to figure out how to hook it up to the TBI with a modified TV type bracket/mount.

2) Also use a cable control for the range box? Put that puppy in neutral and just let someone figure out how to make it move if they want to steal it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3) Number 2 also simplifies my shifters. I already have a pair of 203 shift levers that I plan to use on the twin-stick 205 shifters (which I have mostly figured out, I think..). The trans will be shifted by B&M "Sport Shifter" modified to support a "Park Lock-out" rather than "reverse lock-out"...

4) Cross member will be 2 pieced design. Rigid mounted to the frame. Then an offset mount on the adapters. Basically, just a hard mount bolted to the bottom of the adapters with a sort of "Z" shape so that the rubber mounts do not stick down removing ground clearance. I had considered cross-members on top with the cases suspended under them, but then I got to thinking about the 4 link mounts and skid mount, why not avoid duplicating the weight/fab and combine them...

BTW, anyone got part numbers for the rubber doughnuts used for the 205 frame brace? I am thinking they would work perfect for the case mounts. I like the idea of soft rubber. I want the case mounts to do NOTHING but support the cases. I'll let the engine mounts handle torque...

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice work, Russ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif! I'll see what I can find on your donut p/n's. Any idea what the last year they used them was??

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, I think(!) I found what you are looking for.

2391770 Cushion, mounting upper
    2391771 Cushion, mounting lower
    2387521 Sleeve, mouting bolt sleeve (33/64 I.D. X 1-49/64" O.L.)

The reason I think these are what you're looking for is the t/case mounts (under the adapter) are typically referred to as mounting asm. The "mounting asm" numbers for these trucks are:

14009321 Mounting asm lower
    3705444 Mounting asm upper

That being the case (no pun intended), I believe the info I am feeding you is correct. One other item that leads me in the direction of correctness is that the first numbers I gave you are listed as 73-75 (I am using a 73-78 parts book dated Feb,1985) and I do believe (notice I didn't say I know) that these were only used up to a certain year. My Sub used them, but I don't have an earlier parts book to look at. BTW I still have them and if you would like the squished, cracking, generally nasty looking bushings, they are all yours /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Good Luck, take it for what it is worth.
    Nick

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    1) Hook up the "kick down" to a manual switch (like a choke cable). Then, if I want "performance parameters" just pull the plug. Complete control, and I don't have to figure out how to hook it up to the TBI with a modified TV type bracket/mount.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't see what the TBI and/or modified TV bracket have to do with anything. The kickdown switch for a Turbo 400 is on the throttle pedal bracket in all of the applications that I've seen. Just stop by the JY and yank the switch and wiring from a Turbo 400 rig. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BadDog

But the new trans is not a TH400, it's a TH350. The TH400 is going in my son's truck. And I don't think the "kick down" cable for the TH350 has any way to hook directly to the TBI (though I have not actually looked). That comment was just "shooting from the hip" based on a random thought that occured to me while installing the thing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif No idea what I'll actually do...