Need new steering box...replace stock of get 2wd and do crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheBlazerKid, Feb 24, 2003.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Heres what im faced with... I need a new power steering box on my 71 K5, I dont know wether I should just get a rebuilt 4x4 box and fix it like that... or should I get a 2wd box and go ahead and go to crossover. how much more will ti cost to go to crossover? I only have a 4" lift right now but plan to go to about 10" suspension eventually. what are your guys' takes on this?????? thanx in adavnce!

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What axles are you running? If you are running a 10 or 44 up front, I don't think it would be cost effective to go with crossover right now. If you have a 60, that is a different story.

Costs of xover:
    Steering arms - roughly $100 no matter where you get them. Need one for pure xover, 2 for hi-steer.
    Drag link - Another $100-150 or so for a new drag link and appropriate ends.
    Dropped pitman arm - I used the Superlift 1104. It was around $40
    2WD box - got my from a yard for $75. I also went with WTO Redneck Ram so iw asn't concerned about the condition of the box. Yours may run a little more if it needs a rebuild or has been recently rebuilt.

Other options would include:
    Tie rod - if going to hi-steer at the same time. I got my tie rod and drag link complete with new HD ends and everything from Parts Mike for $260.
    Ram assist - If you a CK5 member, you can get a complete rebuild of your 2WD box with a Stage 2 setup for $400.

Or, just rebuild your 4WD box and plan all this at a later time! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif