CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Neutral safety for a 1970 jimmy

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The safety switch for manual transmission vehicles was attached to the clutch pedal like a brake switch right?

Or is it part of that two wire plug that comes out of the transmission for the reverse lights?

I got my new painless wiring kit 10206 installed but don't know what to do with the pre wired purple wire for the switch.

I'd honestly like to just bypass it

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Don’t remember exactly how they are on the 70, the later ones “are similar” to how a brake switch works

Any reason to use/not use one?

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t remember exactly how they are on the 70, the later ones “are similar” to how a brake switch works

Any reason to use/not use one?
Originally wasn't there (or was omitted in the old oroginal harness by previous owners)
I'm ok with hooking it up but not sure where it goes if my truck even came with a switch Originally
I don't see anything on the clutch pedal

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Originally wasn't there (or was omitted in the old oroginal harness by previous owners)
I'm ok with hooking it up but not sure where it goes if my truck even came with a switch Originally
I don't see anything on the clutch pedal
It was in the column originally if it was an auto. Not sure it had one on manuals back then. I’m not sure a brake type switch would work because the clutch pedal has to be pressed enough to actually disengage the clutch, but the brake pedal only needs to be pressed a tiny amount before the brake lights go on.

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was in the column originally if it was an auto. Not sure it had one on manuals back then. I’m not sure a brake type switch would work because the clutch pedal has to be pressed enough to actually disengage the clutch, but the brake pedal only needs to be pressed a tiny amount before the brake lights go on.

Yea that's what I've found out for auto.
I know for sure based off my tag in my glove box my Jimmy was originally a manual transmission.

Well. I guess I gotta call painless tomorrow to figure this out to bad they are closed on Sunday

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did find this so maybe they did. I used pedals from a manual and didn’t see anything for that switch to connect to.

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did find this so maybe they did. I used pedals from a manual and didn’t see anything for that switch to connect to.

I love the description on it "don't be a hey let's buy a part for our truck just to see it in person" lol

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should I just connect the one wire that's got a spade end on it to the other wire that goes to the fuse panel?
It also has neutral safety printed on it

20210523_145826.jpg

joedragrace

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should I just connect the one wire that's got a spade end on it to the other wire that goes to the fuse panel?
It also has neutral safety printed on it

View attachment 378864
When I was drag racing and you went thru tech inspection, there was a no gray area. The neutral safety switch worked or you didn't race. Figure out some way to wire it up, because there will be that one time(OH SHIT!).

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was drag racing and you went thru tech inspection, there was a no gray area. The neutral safety switch worked or you didn't race. Figure out some way to wire it up, because there will be that one time(OH SHIT!).
There physically isn't a switch to wire it to. From what I can tell there never was one in a 1970 jimmy with a manual transmission.

Last edited:

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
There physically isn't a switch to wire it to. From what I can tell there never was one in a 1970 jimmy with a manual transmission.
You might hook one up like the NOS version I posted. Mount the switch behind the dash and then attach a lever from it to the clutch pedal.

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might hook one up like the NOS version I posted. Mount the switch behind the dash and then attach a lever from it

I went ahead and just bypassed it. I found the other end and just connected them together. Apparently I tucked itself inside another piece of wire loom on the other end

To much work for something I've never had. I don't drag race. Mostly it just sits. No one else drives it.

joedragrace

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you drive a manual trans it almost becomes second nature to push in the clutch or put it in neutral. At least you get an early warning with a manual it's in gear, you don't know with an automatic until the motor has started.

Burt4x4

1 Ton First Gen
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't recall any type of neutral switch on my 72K5 w/factory SM465? I don't recall anything like that when I swapped in my 454 as well? That was back in 2005/6 but still, I don't think FirstGen w/factory 465 came with one. But I am guessing...

Top Bottom