CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

New here, would like to attend

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm new to the board but I have found this site a huge help during the buildup phase of my 78 K20. I would like to attend BB and was wondering what if any requirements you have? I do plan to become a premium member because I like to support sites that are geared toward my interests and have so much good tech to offer. I am from PA so Moab is a hike for me, while Im no stranger to wheeling I am a stranger to Moab so I figure an event like this is better than going alone and trying to find my way around the area. Any and all input is appreciated!

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We loosely follow the recommendations on the trail descriptions. While we do have some trails that are geared towards less capable trucks, most of the trails you’d like 33s and two lockers, or 35s

All of the better trails will make you work a bit without 2 lockers, but all are doable

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Welcome,
I haven't been to BB is on my list.
Friendly people, there may be some from north east traveling to BB, might be able to caravan

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lake Havasu! I know a guy that has some relatives there, seeing it here is the only time I've heard of it besides him....

From what I've seen here at CK5 so far its a good group, not like a lot of other forums where you get garbage info from egotistical jerks lol. I would definitely be down to convoy out with some others, always makes breakdowns less nerve wracking when you have company to enjoy it with you.

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right now Im at 35s with a rear locker, Id imagine I'll have a front locker by then, I was holding off on it for now because I'm still running a 203 fulltime (have a hard time parting with it)
We loosely follow the recommendations on the trail descriptions. While we do have some trails that are geared towards less capable trucks, most of the trails you’d like 33s and two lockers, or 35s

All of the better trails will make you work a bit without 2 lockers, but all are doable

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
not like a lot of other forums where you get garbage info from egotistical jerks lol.
Well, if you get nostalgic, I'm sure we can come up with some garbage info for ya. ;)
Right now Im at 35s with a rear locker, Id imagine I'll have a front locker by then, I was holding off on it for now because I'm still running a 203 fulltime (have a hard time parting with it)
More lockers is always better, but I ran around in Moab for years on 35s and just a gov-lock in the rear. You'll be fine on most trails, just might have to skip a few obstacles.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Coming from back east you’ll have sensory overload of the eyes and your basic understanding of physics and traction. It’s worth the hike.

One locker will get you into most places. The idea of going with a group when you have never been is smart. Many that attend have been coming for years. They know the trails, they know the lines and are very welcoming and helpful to new folks coming for the first time. Nobody will point you into harms way for the sake of carnage.

If anything happens to a rig out on a trail you can bet you’ll have many hands coming in to help. Nobody gets left behind.

Moab is a magical place. Even if you only come once it’s a bucket list item for anybody that wheels. Traction is insane and you’ll do some climbs you didn’t think was possible.

Prep wise, make sure your truck is safe and reliable. Pack spares for what you think could be a weak point. U-joints, front axle shafts if you have a 10b/d44 and hub lockouts or anything else you can think of.

You won’t be disappointed. I promise that.

Blazer Bash

Wishing we were in Moab
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am officially responding.

Bring it out. I am on 35's and just a rear locker. I have done most everything out there except the really tough stuff. Because I know better.

@Chickntrk are you driving the rig or trailering. If driving, I suggest you get sticker for the dash reminding you that you have to drive it home.

With that said, we offer trail runs for all different vehicle and skill levels. We have had people from Connecticut, the Carolinas and Florida make the trip. None of them have regretted it. 2 guys from Iraq last year.

Follow along in this section of the forum for more info, as we are just now starting to nail down specifics for the event.

The drive will be worth it. The drive west of Kansas would be worth it alone.

And I miss visiting Lake Havasu.

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would be trailering out most likely, No sense letting the fear of driving it home stop me from having the best time possible.

I have a 60 front/14bff rear with a detroit in the rear. I try to carry as many spare parts as I can think I might need. I am a mechanic by trade so Im always willing to lend a hand with trail repairs as well. One of my biggest concerns at this point is that I still run a carb, and while I dont have issues on the east coast I am concerned with some of the climbs in Moab as well as the elevation change, if anyone has any thoughts on that Im all ears...

fourwheelerjeff

Jeff's Offroad Emporium
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be trailering out most likely, No sense letting the fear of driving it home stop me from having the best time possible.

I have a 60 front/14bff rear with a detroit in the rear. I try to carry as many spare parts as I can think I might need. I am a mechanic by trade so Im always willing to lend a hand with trail repairs as well. One of my biggest concerns at this point is that I still run a carb, and while I dont have issues on the east coast I am concerned with some of the climbs in Moab as well as the elevation change, if anyone has any thoughts on that Im all ears...

fuel injection (gas)
or
fool injection (propane)

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Wheeling with a carb isn't a major issue if you are used to it. If you have a Qjet for a carb it may not be an issue at all. Even though it's higher elevation, making jet adjustments due to the thinner air from back east for a few days of wheeling may not be worth it. Maybe lean out the idle a little. The timing might need a little change to clean it up but that can be done easy by ear if you had to.

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wheeling with a carb isn't a major issue if you are used to it. If you have a Qjet for a carb it may not be an issue at all. Even though it's higher elevation, making jet adjustments due to the thinner air from back east for a few days of wheeling may not be worth it. Maybe lean out the idle a little. The timing might need a little change to clean it up but that can be done easy by ear if you had to.
Right now I'm running a holley truck avenger, which I've never had an issue with, that was my primary concern was if I'm going to need to rejet it.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Moab is 4000’
It would be 4 sizes on a 4150
Typically run about 10-14 degrees lead in the timing up here

Lots of carbureted vehicles do just fine Offroad

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
All the more reason to come out before the event to fool around and get the truck dialed in.

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The GF and I discussed the trip at length this weekend, we are going to try and leave the Sunday before labor day, possibly even that Saturday since Monday is a free day off. That would put us there on Tuesday so that gives us a few days to work out any wrinkles....still planning but thigs are looking promising.

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
I was there a few times with a carb, had a couple starving issues but planning ahead on the climbs for a possible starvation allowed me to get through whatever I needed to. I avoided the super long and super steep climbs till I had fuel injection. But you can go amazing places with what you have and like has already been said no one gets left behind and plenty of tow straps and winches available if you need a little help up something.

You won't be disappointed if you attend, lots of stuff to do, see etc. and great people to run the trails with!

I have even brought a passenger car and a complete stock Ford Explorer GASP and had a great time. Trails for everything in Moab.

Chickntrk

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welp, I'm all booked! Ill be arriving the 8th although I'm taking the whole week off since I get a free day with Labor Day, so there is a possibility Ill get out there sooner. I'm following the BB threads to see what all is going on, if anything goes on earlier and we are there perhaps we will try to get in on that.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
For anything going on prior to Blazer Bash monitor the “blazin trails” section as it needs to remain separate to BB because of permits and insurance.

You are going to have fun for sure.

Top Bottom