GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You can visit. With advance notice. Lol

TuckerK5

Incovignito!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Inspection is supposed to go down today. The general is pretty straightforward, we should get our findings right away. The septic inspection is required to be sent to the state for review before we are allowed to see the results. I am not familiar with septic systems at all so I don't know if that is typical or not. They are also doing a water quality test as the house is on a shared well. Same deal as the septic, city reviews the results before we see them.
How close together are the well and septic system?
Opposite sides of the yard I hope.
Around here all of the sewage goes into the lake/river and the water supply is pumped out of the same lake.

ktmoutfront

GnomeWorks LLC
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Also depends on how deep the well is. At our first house in Colorado, the leach field was 250 feet from the well. But the well was 685 feet deep. Tested annually. Was really good water. It sucks that we are on a chlorinated public system here.

Justin V

I should've stayed up there
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
From what I can gather, it is 15 residential users on either 1 or 2 community wells. There is an annual fee of 120 dollars per address to be used for maintenance and annual testing.

Each property has it's own septic system.

Justin V

I should've stayed up there
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well, things aren't looking good. The septic system failed it's stress test. This resulted in a back up into the basement..

Further investigation revealed that the system was designed to be adequate for a 3 bed/2 bath home, but is attached to a 5 bed/3.5 bath home.

The leach field is also clogged at least 60%.

Aside from that, there are multiple GCFI's that are either in-op or missing. There are circuits that are run without conduit where conduit would be required. Both electrical panels are unlabeled.

Neither water heater has an expansion tank and one is rusting around the base.

There are multiple smoke detection that are in-op.

Handrails missing in basement stairwell.

Garage door auto-reverse sensors are installed on the ceiling on the garage.

Water softener is unplugged and has no salt

Gas fireplace is in-op.

One window has broken track mechanism. Basically if it is unlocked, it falls out of the frame.

Down spouts (2) from the gutters are detached.

Up stairs shower faucet needs replaced.

We will have a very expensive fix/replace list for the homeowners...

ktmoutfront

GnomeWorks LLC
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thay septic issue is a huge cost. I pit in a new leach field before I sold my home because I knew the existing was too small and not per current standards. Contractors were $7k to #9k. I did it for $2,200 dollars. Inspector was impressed.

JoshHefnerX

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's some serious problems listed. Nothing that cant be overcome though. Keep us up to date.

ktmoutfront

GnomeWorks LLC
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What sucks for the sellers is, either they fix everything now that they know about it all, because they now have to disclose those failures. Or lower the price and sell as is.

Capt Ron

Minus .7 liters
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What sucks for the sellers is, either they fix everything now that they know about it all, because they now have to disclose those failures. Or lower the price and sell as is.
And if they sell as/is it would probably have to be a cash sale because with those issues it would not be eligible for an FHA loan.

Last edited:

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing on that list that can't be fixed with some wd40 and some duct tape.
If you need help, there is show on pbs called red green, tune into a segment called handyman corner. Their is all sorts of tech tips to follow.

Last edited:

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
All joking aside. Congrats on both fronts.

Lots of the list is easy peasy stuff.
Unpopular opinion, but only go after the homeowner on the big things you can't fix.
You will just piss off the homeowners.
Also things like the conduit, remember that the house was built to code and inspected to code, but that doesn't omit that the codes change.
So things like gfcis and conduit won't be changed in those 20 years. Its not worth losing the sale of a house over something like that. It won't affect you.

My house had several of those issues and at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Like I said Unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I'm with @beags86. Maybe I'm more forgiving because we lived in a 114 year old house for 18 years. The only thing on the list that would concern me is the leach field/septic stuff. Remember, a home inspector is paid to find things wrong, but it doesn't mean they are things that are that big of a deal.

I thought of you @Justin V earlier this morning because we have an employee that grew up in Missouri and has a lot of friends and family there. He was telling a story about one of his friends living in a house that shares a well system like the one you're looking at and he said they have a horrible problem with their water smelling like sulphur. He said he stayed with them for a long weekend and never could get used to it. Was thinking you might run some water when you're looking at houses with wells to make sure that's not a common problem.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm with @beags86. Maybe I'm more forgiving because we lived in a 114 year old house for 18 years. The only thing on the list that would concern me is the leach field/septic stuff. Remember, a home inspector is paid to find things wrong, but it doesn't mean they are things that are that big of a deal.

I thought of you @Justin V earlier this morning because we have an employee that grew up in Missouri and has a lot of friends and family there. He was telling a story about one of his friends living in a house that shares a well system like the one you're looking at and he said they have a horrible problem with their water smelling like sulphur. He said he stayed with them for a long weekend and never could get used to it. Was thinking you might run some water when you're looking at houses with wells to make sure that's not a common problem.
My house has a suffer smell to it. A good water filter and water softener takes care of the problem.
I know city folk don't understand the water softener stuff but its pretty common in most parts of the country for people with well water.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
My house has a suffer smell to it. A good water filter and water softener takes care of the problem.
I know city folk don't understand the water softener stuff but its pretty common in most parts of the country for people with well water.
I don't know if they have a filter, but he said he gave them a softener and that didn't help.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they have a filter, but he said he gave them a softener and that didn't help.
The whole house water filter system are relatively new, but have come a long ways in a short time.
My house has three valves to kill the water to change filters its pretty easy to do it.
I can also bypass the filter completely if I chose. Sometimes, (and most of time I honestly forget) I will bypass the filter when I am powerwashing my car or watering my garden. No sense on wasting filter on those things.
Look into Culligan water systems for water softeners and filters.

Top Bottom