New house is in the works + an extra special announcement

ktmoutfront

GnomeWorks LLC
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We had a pelican brand 2 tank system in our first Colorado house. I have installed them in 9 other houses after doing ours. Expensive, but work better than anything else. And no service needed for 5 years or so.

Justin V

I should've stayed up there
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We aren't planning on beating them up over everything...

I did forget to mention that there is also a concerning crack in a basement wall.

The septic system is a no go for us. They fix it or we walk.

I'm perfectly OK ignoring stuff like the down spouts, handrails, smoke detectors, garage door sensors and even some of the electrical stuff. I can replace water heaters and add expansion tanks. I don't want to inherit the major stuff.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, septic should be addressed.

You know as good as anyone all concrete cracks, is one side or another moving? Thats the real question.

Justin V

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't see movement, what I do see is a particular shape to the crack.

I'll call it an expanded X.

2 floor to ceiling cracks with a somewhat horizontal crack running between them.

Maybe a drunk H is a better way to describe it.

Justin V

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
On a separate note, I got my free-ish Honda TRX400EX running. Also acquired 2 ryobi power washers from work. Neither one works. Gonna try a turn two into one. Just gotta get the freaking pump off of the one with the good engine...

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
On a separate note, I got my free-ish Honda TRX400EX running. Also acquired 2 ryobi power washers from work. Neither one works. Gonna try a turn two into one. Just gotta get the freaking pump off of the one with the good engine...
Freeish 400ex huh? Sweet deal.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see movement, what I do see is a particular shape to the crack.

I'll call it an expanded X.

2 floor to ceiling cracks with a somewhat horizontal crack running between them.

Maybe a drunk H is a better way to describe it.
Interesting. Really shouldn't matter much if the rebar was done properly. Would be expensive fix to handle correctly.

Justin V

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Freeish 400ex huh? Sweet deal.
Yeah, it was my uncle's. Hasn't run in a few years. Everything from the tank to the jets in the carb was a varnished mess.

Free-ish because I had to go to Colorado to get it and the trailer it came with cost me hubs and lights. 500 bucks or so in fuel and trailer parts, 300+ into the quad so far...

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was my uncle's. Hasn't run in a few years. Everything from the tank to the jets in the carb was a varnished mess.

Free-ish because I had to go to Colorado to get it and the trailer it came with cost me hubs and lights. 500 bucks or so in fuel and trailer parts, 300+ into the quad so far...
They are reasonable quick, wheelie machine. It will be fun once running..

Justin V

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We bailed on the house. Communication from them to us has been a nightmare. Add that to all of the problems with the house and seems like a sign.

Sucks because we lost money on inspection fees.

Oh well.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
We bailed on the house. Communication from them to us has been a nightmare. Add that to all of the problems with the house and seems like a sign.

Oh well.
Inspection fees is small peanuts compared to be stuck in a house with problems or that your.not happy with

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
All joking aside. Congrats on both fronts.

Lots of the list is easy peasy stuff.
Unpopular opinion, but only go after the homeowner on the big things you can't fix.
You will just piss off the homeowners.
Also things like the conduit, remember that the house was built to code and inspected to code, but that doesn't omit that the codes change.
So things like gfcis and conduit won't be changed in those 20 years. Its not worth losing the sale of a house over something like that. It won't affect you.

My house had several of those issues and at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Like I said Unpopular opinion.
I did that on my first home, I told the seller this is what I will pay and you don't have to fix a thing other than the few rotted pieces of wood on the eves.
All electrical and plumbing I took care of and lowered the price $12k

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yep, chalk that inspection fee up as “paid education”
You’ll see right through that BS on the next house before you get that far

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score

Oh well.
Small price to pay to get off a costly problem.
I paid $350 to test a used freightliner I wanted to but turns out it had a cracked head.
Couldn't have known from the drive test. It felt fine.
Not to mention the drive from Sacramento CA to Salt Lake city UT and back for nothing.
My second home I did the inspection myself because I realized after I bought my first house I found worse things than what the inspector found.
They only find certain things that make them look good and doesn't take too much effort.
I can do much better

Justin V

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So update on the house front...

More square footage, more bedrooms, more bathrooms, newer, less land and less garage...

More money.

We close on the 4th.

The house is better. By a lot.

The garage is smaller by nearly 300 sq ft.

27×29 vs 29×37.

It'll still be the biggest and best garage I've ever had. The house is much more appealing. 6 beds, 4 full baths, geo-thermal heating/cooling, 625' well, county sewer (no septic), completely 100% unrestricted land, but only 1.32 acres. The land borders Quivre River State Park and is in County, not City. That means I can still shoot coyotes and raccoons (and deer in season).

IMG_41011.jpg

This is a really old photo, the trees are far more developed now. The "old house" was built in the 1920's I think, and burnt to the ground. The owner wasn't in town when it happened. He told me that he got the phone call on Jan 2 1999 the his house was on fire. When he got back into town, he said there wasn't anything of value left. He basically lost everything. The only reason any of this concerns me is because the foundation is still there. He said he borrowed a dozer and pushed the walls in and buried it. (After burning the remnants until nothing was left.)

Now that I type this out is seems kinda creepy...

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Nice looking house, congrats!

Top Bottom