CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

New(ish) tires before I sell/trade my truck?

AJMBLAZER

Better to be lucky than good.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love my 2011 Silverado but it’s an extended cab and I REALLY need a crew cab due to two kids in today’s massive carseats. Probably going new to take advantage of late model year “clear the lot” sales.

The problem is that my tires are at the end of their life. They are not bald or unsafe but they’re the next step from it.

I’m not going to spend $800 or more on another good set of tires similar to what it has now. However, would it be worth it to spend $400-500 on used but decent tires or cheap, black, round and new tires when it comes time to trade or sell?

My last three vehicle purchases have been from dealers and all remarked about the good condition of the tires on the trade in. All of my private sales have been with good tires and buyers always seemed to treat it as a value enhancing plus.

So worth the small investment or just eat the (possible) decline in trade/sale value?

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Definitely. If the tires look good theres a good chance you fixed other things along the way also. And they dont have to spend 800 bucks.
Smoke and mirrors man.

Smokinthehippies

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Definitely. If the tires look good theres a good chance you fixed other things along the way also. And they dont have to spend 800 bucks.
Smoke and mirrors man.
Yup. They don’t give you extra for good tires, but they sure ding you if they gotta put new ones on.

T

tenderfoot

Just fiy. In my area, when I went to buy a new to me truck from a dealer, the 2018s were flying off the lots because the 2019s are hideous.

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Salvage yards around here sell tires that look like new or less than half worn for pretty cheap--like $100-$150 for a set of 4...
Most used car dealers buy them to increase chances of a sale,so they wont have to spend a lot,and charge more for the vehicle..

It's been a long time since I bought a new tire for anything..
But then I do not commute to work 60+ miles each way any more either..but even then most of my daily drivers had "previously owned" tires on them and I rarely had a flat unless I ran something over..

mvrk10256

Reaction score
I probably woudnt bother if you are trading it in. You can usually negotiate with them rather than spending the cash yourself.

-stew-

Banned
Reaction score
Take it in on the bald tires. If they bring them up, ask how much more they would give if it had decent rubber on it. If that number is higher than the cost of used tires, then do it.

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
On a trade not sure how they will treat you. Private sale I would put new rubber on it. I have tried several times to sell a vehicle with worn out tires. Telling the buyer " tires are worn, price is discounted so you can get what YOU want". Never worked at all. Put new, cheapest I could get tires on and they sold right away. People are idiots.

-stew-

Banned
Reaction score
On a trade not sure how they will treat you. Private sale I would put new rubber on it. I have tried several times to sell a vehicle with worn out tires. Telling the buyer " tires are worn, price is discounted so you can get what YOU want". Never worked at all. Put new, cheapest I could get tires on and they sold right away. People are idiots.

I've done that. Put the garbage-est cheap tires I can fine on something. Can't knock brand new tires. Cheap skates will beat you up if it needs new tires like they canoly drive on the best top of the line tires ever made and you need to take off $1400 because it needs 225/60/16's that cost $500 out the door for good ones.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Just fiy. In my area, when I went to buy a new to me truck from a dealer, the 2018s were flying off the lots because the 2019s are hideous.
Like 2018s aren't? Funny thing about that people buying for looks, yet the consumer reports I've reading are saying the 2019 is a far Superior truck.

AJMBLAZER

Premium Member
Reaction score
Like 2018s aren't? Funny thing about that people buying for looks, yet the consumer reports I've reading are saying the 2019 is a far Superior truck.
Yep. I’d prefer the looks of the 18 over the 19 but I can’t see the outside from the driver’s seat. Everything I’m hearing is the 19’s don’t have the “Chevy Shake” issue, are more comfortable inside, ride and handle better and get better gas mileage.

...meanwhile they fit bigger tires stock and the 8 speed trans has even lower gearing than the 6 speed.

JT88K5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a 19 Colorado, had it in to dealer twice for trans issue. “ Torque shudder” Chevy is having all kinds of problems with these.

Seems to be ok now for the most part, but every now and then it does something that feels out of place. Like occasionally I think the TC unlocks a second or two late. The other day I was going to pass, put the pedal down, it down shifted, revved to about 4G at which point I left off for opposing traffic, then realized that when i punched it, I never felt it go like it should have. Maybe that was just timing on my part?

First... and maybe the last new vehicle I will ever buy.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much a cardinal rule never buy a first year of a new generation vehicle.

Probably won't ever be a problem for me. Can't afford a new one, and don't want one. My paid off (many times over)93 454 still running just fine...

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Premium Member
Reaction score
Eh, I don’t have the time anymore to be working on vehicles that I drive everyday. Especially something I owe money on.

Meanwhile prices for low mileage, couple year old trucks are so much I can get a new one for a few grand more with better financing.

If it breaks the dealer will cover it under warranty.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Eh, I don’t have the time anymore to be working on vehicles that I drive everyday. Especially something I owe money on.

Meanwhile prices for low mileage, couple year old trucks are so much I can get a new one for a few grand more with better financing.

If it breaks the dealer will cover it under warranty.
I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a 26 year old truck. Just suggesting you wait to buy a 2020.

I'm also saying I won't buy a new one. For what's it's worth.

AJMBLAZER

Premium Member
Reaction score
Tempted to but we’re already on year 1.5 of waiting. When the baby’s seat turns around I will have more trouble fitting them and number 1 will be even more cramped in there.

It’s a race against time almost.

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Tempted to but we’re already on year 1.5 of waiting. When the baby’s seat turns around I will have more trouble fitting them and number 1 will be even more cramped in there.

It’s a race against time almost.
Try a third gen dodge crew cab truck. The kids are TIGHT back there. I bet we got less room than your extended cab lol. I'm just gonna wait till they are out of seats and still do nothing about it! Lol

Top Bottom