Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new radiator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by meatloafK5, Oct 14, 2002.

1. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Here it goes....I am getting a new Crate 330 HP HO SBC to replace the old beat-up 305 with. I was wondering if I needed to get a larger radiator to cool the larger and possibly hotter engine. Currently I am running in low to normal heat range with the Edelbroch Performer top end and 180 degree thermostat. Are the radiators the same for a 305 and 350? Do I even need to consider getting a big block radiator? Thanks guys/gals.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure the heat production will go up. I've had problems swapping engines and having the vehicle overheat, with the same radiator. It wasn't that the radiator was insufficient (I'm cooling my 350 with a 2 core right now, NEVER overheats or even thinks about it) it was that the radiator was just corroded and plugged.

You might try calling around and see if anyone local to you flow tests them for free. A radiator shop local to me does, and I stood there when one of the workers there flowtested the radiator that was "known good", and allowed only 50% of the flow it should have. The engine with that radiator would overheat in 5 minutes at idle, after the radiator was "rebuilt" (new cores, cleaned tanks, it was an odd radiator so I couldn't buy new) the vehicle could idle all day long.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless you know that the radiator has been replaced recently, then it's probably a good idea to replace it. A new one is less than $200. It would really suck to mess up a $2,500 engine for that!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would take the radiator down to a radiator shop and have it cleaned out and tested. You should never put in a new engine without a good clean or new radiator.
    With the 350 HO I think I would like to have at least a three tube radiator.
    Might want to check out raidiator.com
    They have good prices and CK5 members get 10% off all their orders when phoned in.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most shops charge around $100 to rod your old radiator. Which means they clean it out really good, but you will still have an 18 year old radiator. Radiator.com has a brand new radiator for $120. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Here's the link: http://www.radiator.com/price.cfm?carengine=5.7L%2C+350ci%2C+V-8&transmission=Automatic&carmake=CHEVROLET&carmodel=BLAZER+%28FULL+SIZE%29&caryear=1984&lookupid=222818

Orange members get an extra 10% off of the prices listed on the web site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

it would probably depend on your location, and climate! a 2 row radiatiator might be sufficient if temps don't get into the 90-100 degrees (pure speculation). however i'd at least go with a 3 row radiator. around here, to rod out a radiator (if you pull it out yourself) is about $45. the radiators should be the same between a 305 and 350. fyi, a 2 row radiator and 3 row radiator normally have the same tank size. so if you have a 2 row radiator, you should be able to have it re-cored to a 3 row radiator. but, i'd check prices.

7. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Thanks guys, I think I'm just going to get a new one. I figure it's worth the $120 to protect the new motor.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif