CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Can Can

Pusher Man
Reaction score
So this hobby was suggested to me by obijuank5 in my "Me time" thread. I know absolutely zero about it but it looks like a dose of fun combined with a dose of tech and build. What are the "must knows, must haves" if I was interested in getting into this at a beginner level?

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Imagine 10 bolts. They do the job, but c'mon they all need tons.

Same concept.

Dont get all crazy cause it really can. It can 20 dollar you to death.
I'd buy this to start and upgrade some here and there.
http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90058

Lots of free stuff you can do and most parts are pretty low cost. It goes pretty fast as is so a slower crawler motor would be nice. Then some cool tires. It comes ready to go, add your own batteries. Suggest lipo batteries which can run upwards of an hour long now. You need a charger though.
I suggest holmeshobbies.com for your electronic stuff.

Rccrawler.com is a good resource but you gotta wade through some dumb stuff. Its summer so lots of kids with broken ones.

It's a very fun hobby for me but I have tiny kids so I dont get to as much as I used to. I did it ALOT.

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

Smokinthehippies

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Imagine 10 bolts. They do the job, but c'mon they all need tons.

Same concept.

Dont get all crazy cause it really can. It can 20 dollar you to death.
I'd buy this to start and upgrade some here and there.

That’s the truth. I had $2k into my wraith when I sold it.
I also was going to point him to the k5. That’s gonna be my next one.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know some love it, but if you stick to 1/10th scale, go brushless if it's anything but a crawler. The speed is better than nitro without the bs. Lipo batteries are the other thing you need for electric. Much better than old NiCd or NiMH cells. Most RTR (ready to run) kits come with speed controllers that have the low voltage cutoff needed with Lipo batteries. Lipo requires a specific charger that can balance the cells so they discharge under use evenly. Only drawback to Lipo is the aspect of the battery itself puffing and possibly bursting into flame. Proper balanced charging and low voltage cutoff prevent most of the issues, but putting the battery in a flame proof bag is safe insurance, but smartest thing is not to leave a battery unattended while charging. Most hobby shops that sell RC stuff sell the required accessories needed to handle Lipo.

One nice aspect is the fact that you don't need a garage space to work on them. Using a coffee table or a desk or the dining room table are good spots to work from inside. Mods can be made to all systems like suspension, gearing is an example.

Can Can

Pusher Man
Reaction score
Good lord. I'm all about learning new things but this RC stuff has more acronyms and lingo than my entire industry does lol. It looks like I need to do a bunch of research to avoid looking like a total noob in the event I order some RC gear. "Hi. my name is Paul and my interwebz friends said I should order this Axial racing Lipo thing but I don't want burn my house down. BTW, do you have any deals on RTR kits?" Dude at store puts phone down and yells to the back "We have another old focker on the line and I'm on lunch in 5 minutes. Who's taking this call from me?" * Collective sighs from the rest of the team*

Yes, I foresee this kind of stuff happening.

Good grief.

On a positive note the fact that it can be worked on at a kitchen table fits the bill. Despite my apprehension I will definitely be doing some homework in the days to come. Thanks again for some really solid advice, brother.

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Good lord. I'm all about learning new things but this RC stuff has more acronyms and lingo than my entire industry does lol. It looks like I need to do a bunch of research to avoid looking like a total noob in the event I order some RC gear. "Hi. my name is Paul and my interwebz friends said I should order this Axial racing Lipo thing but I don't want burn my house down. BTW, do you have any deals on RTR kits?" Dude at store puts phone down and yells to the back "We have another old focker on the line and I'm on lunch in 5 minutes. Who's taking this call from me?" * Collective sighs from the rest of the team*

Yes, I foresee this kind of stuff happening.

Good grief.

On a positive note the fact that it can be worked on at a kitchen table fits the bill. Despite my apprehension I will definitely be doing some homework in the days to come. Thanks again for some really solid advice, brother.
It is one of those hobbies that can get out of hand but it can also be on the cheap. Do some research. A ready to run "rtr" is a great start in many scales. You can also ad on as you go giving you the choice of where you want to spend. You also won't need a garage:saweet:

Scribbles

Paul
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this hobby was suggested to me by obijuank5 in my "Me time" thread. I know absolutely zero about it but it looks like a dose of fun combined with a dose of tech and build. What are the "must knows, must haves" if I was interested in getting into this at a beginner level?

Me time is the exact reason I dug my old stuff out and went back to my roots, it’s very calming to me to sit there and work on and trouble shoot. The first thing you should consider is your terrain can you bash, can you race, can you crawl? Once you decide what you want to do you can move forward, crawlers look fun but they don’t really do it for me, I was into this before lipo’s were really a thing so I prefer nitro, especially this new weed eater motor is a dozen times better than nitro but not everyone has room for a 5th scale. Battery stuff is by far faster and cleaner and probably less worry but I actually prefer the messy, noisy and high maitnence nature of the 2-stroke beast. I probably enjoy working on them more than I do driving them to be perfectly honest.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
@Can Can It's easy to be overwhelmed with all the acronyms in RC. Getting started stick to Ready to Run (RTR) stuff. I mentioned Traxxas before as they leaders with the RTR stuff. RTR used to have the stigma of not being as good of quality as the Kits but they really pushed past that. Traxxas vehicles are very well built, have solid electronics and like I said before excellent customer service if a problem does come up.

Here's a couple of key points for going RTR to look for in a vehicle.

Radio- You want 2.4ghz. The older radios most RC kits used were AM, and then later FM. Problem was, there were only a few channels within each band you could run on and if you were running at a track or with somebody else you had to make sure you had a different crystal (channel) than everybody else. 2.4ghz eliminates the need to do this as the radio and receiver hops from channel to channel on the 2.4ghz band multiple times per second simultaneously. The range is better and response is better.

Battery/charger- It's best if the kit comes with these as they will match the vehicle. Traxxas uses it's own battery connectors and they work well allowing high current draw without melting. If you go after an aftermarket battery, you'll need to buy some extra connectors to solder on to replace what might have come on the battery. Kit chargers are usually basic, but get the job done without over complicating the process. Getting an extra couple of batteries helps extend the run time before stopping. Once you get comfortable you can move up to the more complex stuff like Lipo (lithium polymer) batteries and the required chargers needed for them.

Waterproof? You want it. You won't kill the electronics if you loose control and slide into a puddle or launch it out into a pond off of a jump.

Next thing is what's the kind of terrain you have available to run on? If you got nothing but pavement you can go for an on-road car, low-slung fast and usually awd. But keep this in mind, while fun and fast, on road cars suck when the weather turns cold and snowy. Something you'll see a lot of I'm sure.

I'm betting you'll have a combination of parking lot, street, some grass/offroad and wooded areas. Going with a 4wd truck is a good start as they will run great on all surfaces. Pavement will make it a bit tippy if you push hard in the corners. But just like the full scale stuff we drive everyday, going off pavement the 4wd really shines. They have really plush suspensions so they can be jumped off of just about anything like an angled curb, skate ramp or an actual track. Plus if you get one that's waterproof you can keep going on when the white stuff comes down. Just keep in mind most kits use plastic or some type of composite and when the temps drop, they get more brittle.

So the next thing to think about is Scale. The larger the number, the smaller the size and the lower the number the larger the size. So Scribble's 1/5th scale Baja 5b is on the large end of the spectrum and then 1/24th scale Like a Kyosho Mini-Z is the smaller end of the spectrum. Price tends to follow size to a certain extent, bigger is more expensive, but the really small stuff can be expensive because of the technology needed to get the equipment small for that scale. 1/10th is by far the most common scale, but 1/8th is right up there. Smaller is a test for dexterity and eyesight when working on it. The 1/10th and 1/16th scales are a good mix of size that working on is easy, but not crazy delicate either. 1/5th scale needs a lot of room to run in due to the sheer size. I've pretty used to just running on the street in front of my house with my 1/10th scale stuff and can jump from the street to the lawn and back pretty easy. Although my fast truck needs a few hundred feet to get wound up and flying.

Here's an example of a 1/16th scale 4wd truck. The Traxxas Summit VXL (brushless) 1/16th scale.
https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/summit-VXL-1-16-tsm
4wd with a very cool pushrod actuated inboard mounted shocks. It gives gobs of soft suspension travel and solid handling on road and off. It's fully adjustable for the suspension, height, travel, caster/camber/toe, spring rate/shock oil. The brushless makes it quick and quiet so you don't piss off the neighbors with a 10,000 rpm nitro running through a tuned pipe. The truck can run on 1 or 2 batteries and is compatible to upgrade to Lipo later if you want.

The bigger brother is the 1/10th scale Summit.
https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/summit
It's very similar to the smaller version, but being larger means they can pack in more features. The bigger version has remote locking front and rear differentials and a remote shifting 2 speed gearbox. You can run slower and crawl over stuff or shift into high gear and go faster. You can run 2 batteries for faster speed or longer run times. The tires are 7 inches tall too. There is not a brushless version, but it's got a honking huge brushed motor for torque and durability. You would need to clean the motor out every now and then in dusty environment.

Scale (meaning hyper detailed) Crawlers are cool, but speed is limited. I like crawling in my real K5, but I'd probably get board with a crawler due to my love to have RC stuff go fast. I still want to do a Blazer RTR kit like one of these:
http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=VTR03023

A short course off road truck is another option. They can be had in 2wd or 4wd. Tons of hop up parts available as this type of truck is crazy popular to race.
https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/slash-4x4-tsm
Lots of people end up bashing (rc term for just driving wherever, having fun but not track focused) the short course stuff on the street, yards and where ever else they can get to. Many use skate parks to bash in.

My thing is just bashing. Running where ever. I've got a go fast 2wd truck that's great for wide open streets or parking lots. I've got a 1/8th scale 4wd buggy converted to a monster brushless motor running on a 3s (11.1v) lipo battery that's good for dirt, wide open fields or the local BMX track is fun too. I've got an on-road car that used to be nitro again converted to brushless electric and run at the local drift track indoors. It's a 1/10th scale awd that I've adapted to run a 56 Nomad body with. So the local drift track owner freaked when I brought it out since most of the drift scene uses Japanese style bodies like 200sx, GTR Nissan, Supra's, ect. So seeing a huge Nomad Body sliding around with the sleek new style stuff is a break from the norm. I absolutely suck at drifting too. But it's insanely addictive to try to master the slide.

I also like the aspect of the build/repairs/modifications. Painting Lexan bodies is fun to me too. I can zone out for hours tearing one truck down to the chassis, cleaning it up and building it back up again. Modifications to make it run better are fun to mentally challenge myself.

Can Can

Pusher Man
Reaction score
ZooMad75 = CK5 RC God. I know what I'm researching on the interwebz on Saturday morning.........

I can zone out for hours tearing one truck down to the chassis, cleaning it up and building it back up again.

It's a shame I couldn't bring any of my pistols up here with me. I took similar pleasure in breaking them down, cleaning them to highest degree, and reassembling and oiling them with the care I would take of a newborn child.........

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
ZooMad75 = CK5 RC God. I know what I'm researching on the interwebz on Saturday morning.........

It's a shame I couldn't bring any of my pistols up here with me. I took similar pleasure in breaking them down, cleaning them to highest degree, and reassembling and oiling them with the care I would take of a newborn child.........
You are giving me way too much credit. Just like to help where I can.

Scribbles

Paul
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to play outside I wouldn’t go smaller than 1/10.

rampage

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
So I love the look and realism of Axial rc trucks, but I just saw that they came out with a '69 first Gen! Not that I have time to pick rc cars back up but I want!

shttp://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90058

You can enter to win one of these ‘69 first gens at tower hobbies. Doesn’t hurt to try.

https://wn.nr/RDwxNM

Think I fixed it now to use the shared link so now I get more entries for anyone who uses the link. :doah::D

Last edited:
Top Bottom