CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

O2 Sensor Bung

H1tman442

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with bolt on oxygen sensor bungs? I am currently changing my entire exhaust system on the Jimmy to hooker headers and dual exhaust. I have extremely limited experience with welding and only have access to a flux core welder from harbor freight. Ideally I would like to weld the bung on but could see the bolt on application possibly working. If anyone has any insight or experience with the bolt on application Im curious to hear how well it worked, if there were any leaks or issues with gaskets melting, shifting or just deteriorating in a short time period etc. The one bolt on one I am looking at is the AEM no weld o2 sensor mount as it looks like it would be the most secure.

SnackPack

Autopilot
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently put an EFI on my jeep. It came with the o2 sensor and one of those clamp-on bungs. Apparently I drilled my hole too close to a bend, so the tube was deformed leading up to it, and it couldn't seal. Only solution from there was to get a weld-on bung, which hasn't leaked at all.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was going to say...I'm using one of the clamp style exhaust "connectors" which was just a test to see how they work. If both pipes arent perfectly round and straight, they don't seal. I can see the carbon trace where mine leaks. Not huge, but obviously a leak near an O2 sensor can be an issue.

Not the exact same application, but same idea.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Are the headers already installed? Can you take them to a weldshop or friend to have the bung burnt in…its really simple to do.

H1tman442

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the passenger side header installed, I test fit the drivers side one to see where I would need to place the O2 sensor. I have been looking to find a shop around me that will do it, theres a restoration shop near by that can do it but they want to charge 200 bucks to do it which in my opinion is highway robbery. I'm going to ask the some of the guys at work if they would be interested in doing it or teaching me the basics so I can do it. We have a machine shop on the grounds where they teach all sorts of mechanical classes including welding to the people that come here to upgrade their certifications for sailing as merchant marines.

DB Cooper

Jumping out of a plane
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just use the flux core welder that you have access to. Remember its not a structural weld, so just bird poop it up and be done with it.

Bigb55

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, a flux welder will do fine for this. Could even make it look fairly nice too if you practice before hand.

SnackPack

Autopilot
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's easy. My method is to use a hole saw bit to drill out the outside diameter of the bung. Then the bung sits inside slightly. This eliminates the gap that would exist if you simply set the bung on the surface of the exhaust tube.

Call it... a bung hole.

Kain

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those are just to get to the welder so you can weld em in, not made to run long term

Top Bottom