Ontario's Worst Mass Murder (Bandidos)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gauder, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. gauder

    gauder Banned

    Aug 26, 2005
    Likes Received:
    [SIZE=+1]Mass murder[/SIZE]
    Eight men found dead on remote back road
    [SIZE=-2]Monday April 10, 2006[/SIZE]
    [​IMG][SIZE=-1]Kyle Rea
    [/SIZE]By Kyle Rea
    Times-Journal Staff
    SHEDDEN -- Eight people from the Greater Toronto Area are dead, found murdered on Saturday morning in the tranquil countryside just east of Shedden.
    The victims, in the worst mass murder in Ontario’s history, were found around 8:30 a.m. in, and possibly around, four vehicles on Stafford Line between Oneida Road and Mill Road, about five kilometres east of Shedden.
    OPP describe the deceased as adult, Caucasian men from the GTA who were "known to each other."
    Two vehicles, a grey Pontiac Grand Am and silver Infiniti SUV, were found near a 10-hectare woodlot at 37103 Stafford Line while a green Chevrolet Silverado tow truck, with a silver Volkswagen Golf still in tow were found nearby along the roadway.
    Police would not confirm whether all eight men were found inside the vehicles, but at least one victim, an overweight man wearing sweatpants with his hands pinned in front of him, could be seen in the trunk of the silver SUV.
    "At this point, the crime scene is being meticulously investigated by OPP forensic identification officers," said Det. Supt. Ross Bingley at a press conference Sunday. "I've been policing for 27 years and I don't recall that many (victims) at any one location."
    Both the bodies and vehicles remained on scene until just after midnight Saturday when they were transported by OPP van to Toronto. They have been sent to the office of the chief coroner, who is to conduct an autopsy today. The vehicles were sent to OPP headquarters in Orillia for examination.
    The names of the victims are being withheld pending notification of next-of-kin. Police remain tight-lipped about the cause of death, any suspects in the case, and whether they were killed elsewhere and dumped here, and refuse to speculate whether the incident was gang-related.
    ‘‘We’re not in a position to reveal how they were murdered,’’ Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Dave Rektor told a news conference.
    Police discovered this "grisly scene" around 8:30 a.m. Saturday when they were called by the landowner, Russell Steele, who reported finding suspicious vehicles on his property.
    Neither Russell nor his wife, Mary, were available to the Times-Journal for comment, but told a Toronto TV station Saturday the vehicles were not there when he and his wife arrived home around 8:30 p.m. Friday.
    They called police the next morning after they tried to look inside one of the vehicles, but found a blanket was covering the back window.
    While police quickly arrived and closed down the scene, there was some initial confusion about what was going on.
    At 9:02 a.m., Southwold Fire Department was called to the scene by St. Thomas fire dispatch, which handles calls for the township. Dave Rock, platoon chief for St. Thomas Fire Department, was in the firehall office that morning.
    "We received a call from CAD (Central Ambulance Dispatch) that there were two people unconscious in a field. So Southwold fire department was dispatched," Rock said, noting Southwold's Rescue No. 3 truck arrived at the scene at 9:12 a.m., when OPP requested they return to the hall.
    Roadblocks between Oneida and Mill roads were quickly set up and helicopters and a K-9 unit were dispatched to look for other victims and ensure the scene was safe.
    The scene was then locked down, keeping it intact for arriving forensic inspectors.
    It is expected to remain closed for the next few days.
    A containment zone has since been set up around the house, measuring about 6.5 kilometres by three kilometres and a no-fly zone has been established.
    Late on Sunday, the OPP set up surveillance at the home of Wayne Kellestine who lives between Iona Road and Aberdeen Line. Kellestine has historic connections with biker gangs. Police would not confirmed details and no further information was available at press-time.
    On both Saturday and Sunday, police assured nearby residents they were in no danger.
    "We believe this to be an isolated incident and have no concerns for local citizens," Sgt. Dave Rektor said Saturday.
    Police are hoping members of the public will come forward to help with their investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).
    With files from Sun Media

Share This Page