CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Overland Dysfunction, Nov 9th

natemc

Adventure is an Addiction
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We're going to be headed for Cape Perpetua on the Central Oregon Coast. It will be a one day dirt road trip from the Eugene/Springfield area. Hwy route back. I'll have more details by the first of the month. All 4x4 rigs welcome. If you're interested in joining us let me know. We're family focused and kids are encouraged to come along as I plan geocaching on the route to keep it interesting.

natemc

Adventure is an Addiction
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
f337e55b8eebd7d60d0720e6baa9a84a.jpg

e883a1d40ad86c74a719dee65c87eadf.jpg

Google maps says Cape Perpetua is 74 miles if we take the hwy. About 30 miles from the house we turned off the hwy and started with some back roads.
Stagecoach Rd from hwy 126 to hwy 36 at Swiss Home.
When we rolled into Swiss Home, we received 4G cellular. Not a big deal normally but my Trimble subscription had expired and the app chose that moment to reset. Jess mentioned that she lost all the waypoints. Again not a huge deal since it was a short trip, I had most of the junctions memorized from studying the map for the last couple weeks. As I asked her to find Cleveland creek, I drove by what I thought was our turn. The subscription is required for the forest roads also. Since we had 4G I was able to renew, but the trip was lost. It took me about 30 minutes to reprogram the trip and we were back on the road.
Cleveland creek was a little over grown so the rigs took a little bit of brush till we got to the 28 rd and pavement. Many areas of the coast range is full of paved roads. Still not passable in a Honda civic due to slides and sinkholes. Somewhere along the 58 road we came across the road grader that had been clearing debris from the roads. when we turned onto the 55 road, we returned to gravel. As we started down in elevation the weather began to show itself. We started to realize the we were not just chasing fog anymore. The forecast for rain possible turned out correct.
We rolled into the outlook area of the Cape and Found the view unavailable.

After freeing up the drivers rear brake caliper on the limo we headed back down the hill. We headed to the visitors center where the trailhead begins. The weather was just as bad at sea level also. We found out the tide was at a very high level also so we skipped the walk to the water. A movie about the Cape and surrounding forest is available to view in the theater. Definitely worth the trip even if we didn't go down to the shoreline.
We left there and headed down hwy 101 on the way back home. We pulled into Hectares Head lighthouse with a slight break in the weather. The lack of rain we felt like getting out, but the high tide kept us from exploring the rocks.
Again, we got back in the rigs headed south. With everyone hungry and wanting to get out of the rigs together. We called ahead for Pizza and spuds at Florence Abbys. After pizza, a traditional Florence stop at BJ'S Ice cream parlor was in order.
With full bellies and bags of saltwater taffy we headed home.

Top Bottom