Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

picked up a used troy built roto tiller

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wazzabie, Mar 20, 2017.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I picked up off CL a used rotor tiller for under $300. It is the econo model horse from mid 80s with electric start. It starts right up and tills not issue.

Any one else use a troy built roto tiller? I' going to change the engine oil, air filter and tranny fluids.

2. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

I've been using a Troy-Bilt "horse" of that vintage since it was new (and so was I, come to think of it). No complaints after 20-some years of usage, and only a couple of breakages. Now that I have my own gardening spot 400 miles away from home I'm considering getting one of my own. :thinking:

3. CK10

CK10 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My dad still has one that he bought new in the 80s, it doesn't get used much but it's paid its own way in the 30 years he's had it. Drain the fuel when you put it away and don't use ethanol fuel in it if you have the option (they run, but they don't like it and weren't made for it) and change the oil and plug every few years you'll probably have it forever.

campfire likes this.
  4. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Yeah, ethanol mix gums up the carburetor. Dad finishes up planting season with a shot of Stabil in the tank and then runs it dry. Very low maintenance. We've run through a couple belts & cotter pins, cleaned out a few mouse nests, and degummed the carburetor a few times (we figured Ethanol out the hard way).

Dad bought his sometime around 1988. Still uses it. I've spent many a happy hour behind it. :thumb:

CK10 likes this.
  5. CK10

Haha, :sign17::weld:

6. wazzabie

This winter I'm going to store it outside under a tarp as I don't have space in the garage. Been thinking about building a shed but have too many other projects.

7. CK10

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't store it in a pond. Those things are tough as nails.

campfire likes this.
  8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You can buy "Tru-Fuel" at stores like Lowes that is ethanol free,if your state has no non ethanol gas stations (like mine!)..stuff is quite costly at 7 bucks a quart,but it beats having carb issues later on,it isn't too often you can get a carb to run good again once ethanol eats up the innards and corrodes the jet passages..

I would get some pallets and make a crude cover or small shed to store the tiller in--leaving things with a small engine under a tarp encourages rodent infestation ,and it'll rust from condensation faster too..having a roof with semi-open sides is better..

I have an ancient front tine Simplicity "Roto-Cull" tiller ,it works,but beats the crap out of me every time I use it..bucks like a bronco and wants to drag you across the yard..

It usually requires a day of frustration to get the thing to run every time I go to use it--pull the recoil off,clean the points,then after I get spark again,I usually have to clean the carb,its an old 5 HP Briggs with the carb that bolts to the gas tank..one of my least favorites,they have a diaphram in the carb that hardens up and they wont get fuel until that is replaced..I also usually end up having to put new rope in the recoil,after pulling it 100 times trying to get it started..

It has sat 2-3 years since I used it last--I kind of gave up trying to grow anything,the soil in my yard is poor,mostly clay,and there isn't enough sun where I put my "hoop house" any more,trees around it have grown dramatically since I built it..

I may go back to using it as a storage shed rather than a "garden"..I had to put chain link fence around the arches to keep deer and rabbits,woodchucks and possum from eating the few plants I got to grow..now I have a few dozen crows hanging around that I'm sure would eat everything too...

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm using an Ariens about that old. I like old solid steel stuff vs. the big box store throw-aways. I try to take good care of the old carbs that have adjustable idle circuits because the replacements usually suck. I have the same Tecumseh engine on the tiller and a snowblower and have them share 1 electric starter since they run in different seasons.

10. wazzabie

I'll put it on a pallet. In WA state at the co-ops they sell non ethanol gas at the pump. Not to expensive compared to regular gas.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Gas stations near marinas are another good source for ethanol free gas.