CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Power steering pump filter?

stallion85

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I am having prolems with my steering since a recent power steering pump and input shaft kit on the steering box. The pump was out of a junk yard but was rebuilt not the original. Now my problem is the steering is off some how. When I make a sharp turn and try to straighten the wheel out I have to actually turn it back straight. It should automatically want to go back straight if I am correct. I was told it could be the filter in the pump is clogged and the gear box isn't getting enough pressure? It turns fine with no noise or extra effort /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I am stumped. My only other option is to replace the gear box! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

GMCLegacy

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
do you have any front axle shims? your caster/camber may be off, making your tires not 'return to center'

also check your steering stabilizers, they may be bent.

stallion85

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Stabilizer seems fine, Not sure how to check the shims????

FWP

CRS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you adjust the preload on the Box? You might have it too tight /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

stallion85

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
That might be it, i am putting another gearbox on next month, That should fix the leak I can't get rid of and hopefully my steering problem /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Top Bottom