Propane vs Acetylene Torch Q

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by nvrenuf, Oct 24, 2019.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf I grind my welds. Premium Member

Build(s):
    I lucked up and fell in to most of a propane set up -

Victor torch with a propane tip
    Hose set but they are type "R"
    Gauges
    Oxy bottle (not empty)

I've read the propane requires type "T" hoses, is this a real world issue?

YT videos and stuff on Google says just go get a bottle for a gas grille and hook it up because it's no much cheaper than an acetylene bottle. The videos show a female fitting bottle and my gauges have male fittings however the bottles I regularly get from WalMart for my grille are male - what am I missing? Is the bottle special?

That said, I have a complete acetylene set up but the acetylene bottle is empty and I'm told a refill will be $100-$150ish. I'm tempted to fill this bottle and go because it's the easy route but would I be better cost-wise to go propane?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    What you're missing is propane tanks for a BBQ have both coarse external threads, and fine internal threads that are left hand thread. Never heard a need for different hoses, although the torch head and tips are quite different from Acetylene. Propane runs a lot cooler so stuff will take noticeably longer to heat up, but it is cheap compared to acetylene.

nvrenuf likes this.
  3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf I grind my welds. Premium Member

Build(s):
    Ok cool, I never looked inside the fitting. That’s sweet! The video that talked about hoses was made by Victor so I was wondering if it was an ideal, perfect world scenario.

Now that I know that I can get a torch going uber cheap. Thanks Rene!

tRustyK5 likes this.
  4. HankScorpio

HankScorpio Customize everything Premium Member

Build(s):
    I ran a propane torch a bit on a building project at a local junkyard. Big difference in starting the cut, you have to wait a while to heat it up enough. Once the cut was started you could move along pretty good but if you lost it then it needed to heat up all over again. Not a bad setup just takes some getting used to.

tRustyK5 and nvrenuf like this.