CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Proper OE Horn assembly

Drewfrazier

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gang: I replaced an aftermarket steering wheel with a reproduction of the original on my '72 K5. There were no directions other than the parts catalog below. If I tighten it down, the horn fails to sound, and if I loosen the three bolts, it sounds intermittently, without warning, usually when I am turning left. One of the online tutorials suggests cutting plastic spacers and inserting them, but there is no indication of where. And, what is the greyed-out washer-looking thing under the big nut in the assembly schematic? Steel or plastic? Any ideas? The horn worked fine on the Grant wheel I just removed. Thanks!

them. Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 11.51.02 AM.png

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
So the horn button is just a switch on ground side, they can be finicky. esp if reproduction is off. the round steel spring need to isolated by the nylon spacers, when the cup is pushed down the spring should make contact with steering wheel and the horn contact in the wheel. A picture of your set would help us help you.

Drewfrazier

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are the assembled parts, disassembled. (I had already removed the electrical contact at the end of the spring that powers the whole thing.) Am I correct in assuming that the horn will sound when, as the button and collar assembly are pressed, the round black convex steel spring (concave side against the steering wheel mounting plate) View attachment 377778 comes in contact with the center steering shaft, under the attachment nut and washer? That's where I am seeing a tiny spark.

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg

IMG_2027.jpeg

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Great pictures. I am not used to seeing the steering nut hold the cup in. I recall being able to remove the cup w/o touching the nut. Might be a 1st gen thing. Been along time for since I have work on one let alone the steering wheel.

86454K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great pictures. I am not used to seeing the steering nut hold the cup in. I recall being able to remove the cup w/o touching the nut. Might be a 1st gen thing. Been along time for since I have work on one let alone the steering wheel.
I think that is the issue. Steering wheel, nut, convex disc, outer ring, 3 screws with nylon then the cap.

Drewfrazier

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that is the issue. Steering wheel, nut, convex disc, outer ring, 3 screws with nylon then the cap.
Thanks, 86454. Your description is exactly how I am assembling it, with the exception of a washer under the steering shaft nut. I will try a smaller one.

Top Bottom