Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for anyone that has fabricated w/ tubes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 18, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

When welding piping together, does anyone have any suggestions on what method to use when notching out the pipe ends in order to get a flush fit when welding the end of one tube to the side of another? What about when doing angles?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well a notcher works pretty well;)...this one is badass:

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_notcher.htm

And you can cut it in a V on the chop saw, or just grind/torch/plasma some arcs out of it. I've been fishmouthing some with a bench grinder lately and it works allright. It doesn't have to be completely flush, a tad bit of gap is actually a good thing, allows for a little better penetration, kinda like chamfering...In other words, it doesn't have to be perfect.

HTH,
    Bryan

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I bought a tube notcher for 50 bucks at harbor freight tools, and I already had the hole saw

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build(s):
    Just to clarify....there IS difference when you refer to "tube" and "pipe"....they are not the same thing. My guess in this case is that we are talking about tubing? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, a holesaw jig can make the cut VERY precisely. From what I've heard, it's actually TOO perfect and doesn't leave a "valley" to lay the weld into. I bought a punch-style notcher which can do fishmouths also, but leaves a more blunt edge, which will hopefully be better for welding.

It's not to say that a holesaw style can't work, I think you just need to spend a little extra time prepping the cut so that it's got a better shape for the weld.

Anyway....I'm FAR from an expert, but thought that would give you some things to consider. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That Vansant (or should I say, JD2) one is what I have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I use a variety of methods from chop saw to hole saw to angle grinder, depending on the joint. In any case, for something as critical as a roll bar joint, I ALWAYS cut a 45* chamfer on the end before welding. I want to be 100% sure I get a good weld all the way around.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build(s):
    Whatever Russ says....GOES!

He is one of my heros. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ps. Hey Russ, I got about 600 feet of tubing delivered to my house this morning! I'm eating Weaties and getting ready for some serious bending FUN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, the world must be hurting for heros! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Congrats on the pending project. Looking forward to the updates and pics!