Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Really wierd question you might not be able to answer.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Jun 7, 2002.

  1. NewK5Guy

    NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

    Mar 2, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm still working on plans to get an np241 in my 84 Jimmy. I have leads on one with mech speedo(from an 89 Blazer) and one with VSS(from a 90 Blazer). There's ups and downs to both, so I'm at a draw. Tell me, in your opinion. Should I source out the 89 241 and use a converter to hook up an aftermarket speedo? Or should I source the 90 241 since most aftermarket speedos state they use factory vehicle speed sensors? I know I'm missing something here. Please help me fill in the blanks.
  2. HarryH3

    HarryH3 1 ton status Author

    May 31, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Georgetown, TX
    I'd go with the one with mechanical speedo drive. This will let you hook up a drive cable to operate your existing speedo. If you do decide later that you want to install an electronic speedo, lots of places sell an adapter that just inserts inline with the cable that will provide VSS signals. It isn't as easy to drive a mechanical speedo with the VSS-Only transfer case.

Share This Page