CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Round worms in rib steak!!!

my kids took the truck

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only because I cannot get this out of my head. Earlier this week I found two round worms along the rib in my steak. I thought it was a vein and yanked on it with my teeth. That thing slid right out and I knew that isn't a vein. After a lot of late night searching online, I found that cows are loaded with these things and a third of people have a few of these living in their gut without ever knowing.

I am thinking back over the years and I don't think this is the first one I found, just the biggest.

Cook those steaks. This thing was just barely dead down in the nice red meat by the bone. I half expected it to wiggle and watched for awhile.

Large one is a female and smaller one is a male. The smaller one is flayed open because I popped it trying to figure it out. They lay 200,000 eggs a day.

IMG-20190131-WA0005.jpg

-stew-

Banned
Reaction score
Where did you buy this meat at? Is it common for these to be found in beef?

my kids took the truck

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy this meat at?
Just the normal grocery. It wasn't like some sort of beef I bought from a cousin. I think it was a premium grocery--my wife bought it, we have clams and steak every once in awhile for the iron.

Is it common for these to be found in beef?
Based on my memory, I have probably found one of these every few years. I don't eat rib steak except every few months or less. I never recognized it as a worm because it was smaller, maybe my memory is of actual veins. I'd say the answer is no, it isn't common. From reading online, these should be in the intestines but if a cow is heavily infected then worms will start into the nervous system and follow nerves. This cow must have looked like shit. I raised a few steers years ago. It is winter and this time of year isn't when you slaughter. I'd bet this was a sick steer pulled in a winter cull and sent to auction.

There should not be worms there and it isn't common. Apparently it does happen.

Last edited:

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
I read those worms and
other parasites are very difficult to eradicate one they take up residence in your guts..:yikes:..

This reminds me of a 3 stooges quote -
"What'll ya have"?
"Give me two slices of burnt toast and a rotten egg "

"Two slices of burnt toast and a rotten egg ?--what kind of breakfast is that"?
"I have a tapeworm --and
it's good enough for him" !

I don't eat much beef,maybe one of those frozen cheese burgers once in a while,and whatever meat comes in TV dinner spagetti & meat balls ..
My lack of teeth prevents me from having a steak ,unless I chop it up into confetti..I live mostly on pasta and fruit,rice,cereal..

my kids took the truck

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife said it was a t-bone not a rib steak--she had given me half a steak (the half with the worm, right). She even showed me the receipt before I dug into the trash I was so certain it was a rib steak. It must have been a 2" t-bone, nice steak.

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
I was the only guy who was brave (or stupid) enough to guzzle the tequila worm down when a bunch of us were sneaking a drink before school--they bet me $10 I'd peuke..
I almost did,the thought of eating a worm was very disgusting..but I managed to keep it down..
Around 10 am,I had to go see the school nurse--the worm it turns out,has hallucinogetic properties,and I was trippin pretty bad!..they called my parents to come pick me up..
I didn't come down till well after midnight!..swore I'd never do that again..

Top Bottom