CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Rubicon June 2020 (not 2019)

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
This may be a ridiculously long time to plan for a trip but I think this is the only way we'll get it done. So I would like to start a discussion of doing a big Rubicon run. Hoping some of the California guys like @skunked, @K85 Octane, @ChrisPerry and @sreidmx will help out.

First thing I was wondering about is weather. My first thought was spring break, but I'm guessing it will be snowed in at that point. So now I'm thinking right after school is out might be better. So maybe the first week in June?

Any thoughts?

sreidmx

Fortify Offroad
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
This may be a ridiculously long time to plan for a trip but I think this is the only way we'll get it done. So I would like to start a discussion of doing a big Rubicon run. Hoping some of the California guys like @skunked, @K85 Octane, @ChrisPerry and @sreidmx will help out.

First thing I was wondering about is weather. My first thought was spring break, but I'm guessing it will be snowed in at that point. So now I'm thinking right after school is out might be better. So maybe the first week in June?

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I wouldn't be a great resource for the NorCal stuff @bmxbryant9 would because he must have a house on the rubicon or something.. or it's his backyard.. I dunno?

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
First week of June is when I went. Maybe 15th or something, can't remember, been a couple years now.
I would love to go again.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
First week of June is when I went. Maybe 15th or something, can't remember, been a couple years now.
I would love to go again.

That was a dry winter, very dry. In June this year they were still trying to recover vehicles caught in storms over the winter. Trail was even closed for a bit....

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've wheeled with him. It would do it. Might be tight in areas, but yes. It would be a shame to drive all that way to do a 1 day run on Rubicon.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You can walk the Rubicon in a day. We spent 2 half days on it.

Someone could not me though.

If you start down on the old trail and go through wentworth, through the slabs into loon it adds a half day. Fun to camp up on the trail either way, that's half the fun IMO. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to camp somewhere along Lake Tahoe if they've never experienced it. DL Bliss, camp Richardson, Sugar Pine or even Meeks Bay for a night.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to checking out Fordyce either. I was hoping to try and hit the area when it wasn't too busy and not too hot. Don't know anything about the area really. We've just donated stickers to the Rubicon Trail Foundation event for several years and I saw an episode of the UK Top Gear that went there; that's what got Nicole and I onto it.

I suppose the best idea is to hit the trail in the middle of the week to avoid a majority of the crowds. Sounds like we would need to plan on camping on the trail. How hard would it be to find a place to park the camper while we're on the trail?

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Unfortunately I wouldn't be a great resource for the NorCal stuff @bmxbryant9 would because he must have a house on the rubicon or something.. or it's his backyard.. I dunno?
You know, I have this mindset that everyone from California lives in the same place or something. I forget it's a big state.

Top Bottom