CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Rubicon trip May 13-15th 2016

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
June 23 is the forcasted opening date for loon lake campground. Last year they moved up that date by a month because of such a weak winter...this year will be different im sure.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was referring to th trail being open. With this winter we may have enough snow pack and water runoff in May.

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah i know. The campground opening date is somewhat indicative of the trail being open (as in clear to run all the trail), although the trail will likely be swamped even in June. The water doesnt matter but snow on the bowls makes it impassable.

Last edited:

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The trail doesnt get shut down. Its open right now even covered in snow, open all year. Im just saying if theres snow in the campground, the trail will have it too. I wouldnt want to run the trail when its super swamped...ideally we do the whole trail so whenever that date is, is good with me.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The trail doesnt get shut down.

oh yes it does....it was shut down in February last year. Not trying to start a debate on that subject however I wanted to make sure that everyone knows it's a possibility with the potential snow pack that can lead to more runoff in the spring. :thumb:

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The shutdown of 2014 was a pissing match (8 inches of water...really?). Even if the water is over your tires itll still be open. Im fine with it being that high. As long as the snow is burned off its all good.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm not trying to support the shutdown however that's the authority they have. It was earlier this year btw, not 2014 that I was referring to.

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure. They just won a fairly good size battle against skiers up there crossing over the Rubicon. Thats now against the law. We didnt have shit for storms so im sure that was a little pisser they got into.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Not sure. They just won a fairly good size battle against skiers up there crossing over the Rubicon. Thats now against the law. We didnt have shit for storms so im sure that was a little pisser they got into.

Yeah I saw the new map clearly referring to that section as OHV now :thumb:

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats good. They got that new land too now. I think theyre talking about having it open but no vehicles this year.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah thats good. They got that new land too now. I think theyre talking about having it open but no vehicles this year.

that was the disputed property right? RTF owns it IIRC? I was reading some of the drama about that a while back....

wetoolowdingbangow

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you read about the old marine who beat some land hippies silly back in the 70's? great story. Yeah RTF owns it now. They said summer 2016 itll be open.

Top Bottom