CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Rusted out bed rails... What options?

mr_clean

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Hi all, I aquired a 73' Jimmy about 6 months ago and have found a wealth of information here, but I now have a question that I can't find an answer to in the existing posts... After sanding down about a 1/4 inch of bondo off the bed rails I found the first real rust problem. I have the LMC catalog but they don't seem to make replacement panels for that area. Does anyone know of any company who does, or should I look for a donor vehicle, or maybe just Picklex it and hope for the best???

Thanks in advance!

Scott

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to CK5.

Going to the junkyard and buying a junk pickup bed would most likely be a good start.

mr_clean

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
That is where I was afraid I was headed...
I have found some complete quarter panels for sale but thats gonna run $600 plus ride...

75-K5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Just put the Bondo back on! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

camiswelding

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
When one doesnt know how to do something it always seems like a huge challenge
BUT
if you weld or have someone who can for you, this task of replacing them is no big deal..
1) draw a nice level line just under the old rail,cut off the old rails, I use a plasma but even a cutoff wheel will work
2) Decide what you want the new rail to be made of, channel, tube (I like tube for strength) , cut it to fit , weld it back in, use a welding wire like "easy grind" ..I use .023 for bodywork... or if you have a friend good at tig thats an even easier way to go...
3) paint it and redrill your top holes....
forget about it forever
cam

mr_clean

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips!!!
and believe me, I am very tempted to just put the Bondo back on, but the whole reason I sanded through was to paint the rig and I don't want rust eating through the paint in a few months. I think I am going to cut and weld. Worst case I have to replace the whole panel anyway so I don't lose anything by trying that.

Thanks agian all, this forum is a huge help!!!!!

Scott

Top Bottom