CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Rusty: Resurrected

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
No more truck money for you!

On the winch, I have a Warn remote and I'll never go back. I know the winch you're talking about isn't your primary recovery winch, but still the remote is handy as hell.

I agree. I have a smittybilt 12k winch on the front with a wireless, and agree it’s quite handy. Just trying to not spend a ton of money on this rooftop winch but looks like I might sacrifice quality in doing so.

centexk5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well I got to sleep in my own bed last night. This whole thing has actually been good in helping my wife overcome her fear of spiders.

And I’ve sourced what I think will be a decent winch.

Zeak 3500 LB Winch

It checks all the boxes: sufficient load capacity, wireless + wired control, waterproof winch + waterproof solenoid, synthetic rope, 1 year warranty, and excellent reviews in terms of quantity and quality.

The winch will arrive tomorrow, and I’m picking up the steel for the rack today. Looks like we’re going to have excellent weather this weekend though, so I doubt I’ll get started on this until next week. Family gets priority.

Andy

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Honestly can't say which I prefer.

On a funny aside, whenever I see your posts on IG I read rustycedarco as "rusty-can-dero". :doah: :haha:So that's how I always think your truck now, the rusty-can-dero rig. :D

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Honestly can't say which I prefer.

On a funny aside, whenever I see your posts on IG I read rustycedarco as "rusty-can-dero". :doah: :haha:So that's how I always think your truck now, the rusty-can-dero rig. :D

Haha. The Rusty-Can-Do rig. The Rusty Can Opener rig. We can really get creative here.

I like it. The truck has had a blocky color scheme for a long time and it has been weighing on me lately.

Still fits in with the 30-foot looker concept. Looks good from 30 feet away. Someday I think I’m going to have to get busy on some REAL body work, but, that’s hopefully a long way away.

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Multiple updates in a single post. My favs.

Finished painting the driver side rear quarter. Pretty sure this truck is going to get a body shell swap one day. But this will do for now.

0FDFC929-8FFD-4CB7-802E-6D48010D473A.jpeg A0CC0E13-E26B-4563-B4B0-508E52A12D4D.jpeg

Took the family to a local state forest and did some driving around. Nothing crazy. Didn’t even lock the hubs or magnum. Just enough to get the fresh forties dirty.

E9E04C2E-25A1-4FD7-AF65-7C0D57C09546.jpeg 8845FF99-3032-4DA1-BBD7-5F17D8C7A86A.jpeg 84B43282-41CC-436C-A4FB-DAC8035775DB.jpeg

I’ve had these cab lights tucked away in my parts shelf for YEARS. I figured since I am about to build a full length roof rack, I better get them installed so I can make sure the rack plays nice with them. My only disdain is splicing yet another wire into the factory harness. The nest under the dash gives me nightmares. I may have to do something about that this winter.

A86732F8-D29B-4277-823F-56AF46D875EC.jpeg 6EEA0D2B-BE96-4D7A-B7D0-A2CE3195146A.jpeg 205C207C-8F3B-4387-B040-3D82F0B742CD.jpeg EA7B07FF-7041-47C9-817E-FA94D27F43D8.jpeg 3B26A2D0-2CB8-43E8-8E23-B88BE9E3D43D.jpeg 225D4473-4658-4E98-AD14-4E04EDAC1C45.jpeg 464DC3CD-29BF-4C19-85BE-28E1E2340857.jpeg 898115BA-1E3D-47E9-8807-0F53EBCD5FBC.jpeg E5673785-913F-46B0-A9A4-B3553FBF87A2.jpeg E8B7BC25-2CCA-4526-840F-47D04C4B9DE1.jpeg

I also picked up a spare tire bag/trash bag. Yes. I jumped on that band wagon.

EE51F8C4-E477-4CAD-8C9C-3CF4C29FB120.jpeg CBC95477-3F45-499E-99D9-9CD0B25E97BC.jpeg

I’ll start bending tube for the roof rack tomorrow.

Andy

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I’ve had these cab lights tucked away in my parts shelf for YEARS. I figured since I am about to build a full length roof rack, I better get them installed so I can make sure the rack plays nice with them. My only disdain is splicing yet another wire into the factory harness. The nest under the dash gives me nightmares. I may have to do something about that this winter.

I would like to do cab lights too, but haven't because I'm paranoid about putting holes in my roof. I also have the same issues with the wiring behind the dash. Luckily you rarely have to look at it so you can pretend it's not there; that's what I do. :D

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would like to do cab lights too, but haven't because I'm paranoid about putting holes in my roof. I also have the same issues with the wiring behind the dash. Luckily you rarely have to look at it so you can pretend it's not there; that's what I do. :D

I turn the other way also, but don’t know how much longer I can hold out.

I figure I am about to add a bunch of holes in the roof for the rack so might as well get crazy with it

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I turn the other way also, but don’t know how much longer I can hold out.

I figure I am about to add a bunch of holes in the roof for the rack so might as well get crazy with it
My problem is I've kept adding and changing things over the years, and it just gets more chaotic. I have the same problem under the hood too. I keep thinking I should redo it all now that I think I have everything settled. Of course as soon as I do that, I'll end up adding or changing something else.

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My problem is I've kept adding and changing things over the years, and it just gets more chaotic. I have the same problem under the hood too. I keep thinking I should redo it all now that I think I have everything settled. Of course as soon as I do that, I'll end up adding or changing something else.

I have a 7-circuit Painless panel I plan on adding to put power to all of my add-ons, and riddle the factory harness back down to just factory stuff. I run into the same stuff you do. I figure best course of action is to build something that’s expandable or has room for new stuff in the future.

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well I may not get to bending after all. My attention got diverted to something else and burned through my time today. But that’s okay, still one progressive step forward.

I decided to pull the “rear” AC unit. I’ve never really been a fan of Rear AC, I prefer the head room, and haven’t been a fan of the routing of the lines. This unit is really just an under dash unit from vintage air that I adapted to the rear, and will get repurposed up front. I’m working to make the cab of the truck more conducive to camping, so it made sense to get this pulled now.

5CF94055-FC56-4FD0-8227-CE8E5701FFA5.jpeg 6BB3DD29-231F-4652-A769-133E8C5723E7.jpeg

The other day I also pulled the front headliner and trashed it, and pulled the overhead console. It’s for sale to anyone interested with a fair price.

876AFE39-A7EE-4347-B211-FD9A533E3953.jpeg

I haven’t really decided what I’m going to do for a headliner. I have a free one from LMC sitting in a closet. Makes sense to use that one but I don’t have much hope for it lasting, seeing how the one in my wife’s truck faired. A wood slat headliner is my preference, but would be a ton of work.

Andy

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
You could put a curtain behind the second row to keep the cool air contained in the people space. Although that does cut into your rearview but I'm not sure if you have much visibility out the rear windows anyway.

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
You could put a curtain behind the second row to keep the cool air contained in the people space. Although that does cut into your rearview but I'm not sure if you have much visibility out the rear windows anyway.

well my AC doesn’t work at all right now anyways, so there is no cold air to keep in the front :D

But, that’s a good future-state idea to work towards.

And not much rear view visibility at all haha

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I first heard the idea from a friend that told me he would put a curtain behind the front seats of his K5 so the AC wasn't trying to cool such a huge volume.

fordmas

Partially sentient meat based robot
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man you’re getting me motivated to get back to work. I’ve got a bunch of work to do on the inside and now wiring for led conversion and cab lights. Really looking good over there! Can’t wait to see how the roof rack turns out. I need to buy some of Four By Design bumpers too…

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Man you’re getting me motivated to get back to work. I’ve got a bunch of work to do on the inside and now wiring for led conversion and cab lights. Really looking good over there! Can’t wait to see how the roof rack turns out. I need to buy some of Four By Design bumpers too…

Thank you for the kind words! I hear about others getting motivated often and it’s one of the saving graces of this build. LEDs, cab lights, and FBD bumpers are all highlights of the truck. Give @stan1688 a shout, his products are top notch and he will hook you up.

fordmas

Partially sentient meat based robot
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah the weather finally is coming off…I’ll need it there probably all weekend.

Thinking about your headliner situation. But with cedar for obvious reasons. Could even brand your logo in to it or something
1634732124170.jpeg

AugustDiesel

Rusty Cedar & Co.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah the weather finally is coming off…I’ll need it there probably all weekend.

Thinking about your headliner situation. But with cedar for obvious reasons. Could even brand your logo in to it or something
View attachment 393457

Is that yours?

I’ve thought about wood slats a lot, and I think is the preference. Especially cedar. I’m torn between that or using the LMC headliner I have sitting in the closet. The LMC is free and quicker to install, but I’m convinced will not last long, and I’ll be doing this again at some point in the future.

Maybe I’m giving myself my answer.

Top Bottom