CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Ryoken's HF press mod build...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a DeWalt steel blade in my 7.25" circular saw. I've made a lot of cuts with it. Missing a couple teeth now, but it does great still. Next will be a diablo.

I definitely wear safeties and use a face shield with that thing though. The chips are vicious lol.

yeah, I'll have to try it.... love blowing thru alum with carbides.. tho yeah, noise and chaff are big downfalls... always dread the alum chaff lingering in the shop, house, socks for months on end...

it's part of why I went bandsaw as opposed to Evo.. not a huge fan of screamin banshees... :haha:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
full

the winch also has the center "free-spool" mode to make it much faster up/down.... ended up having to do the opposite and running a minimum of line.... basically the cradle all the way at the bottom is max line length... but it doesn't really seem to affect speed... it was too easy for the line to bind, get hung up with full spools....

working on the brake now... plenty of good material for the lower that I'm hacking up now.... just need to find something tube/post/spring like...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Use a stack of sbc valve springs. Somebody has to have a bucket of old ones laying around.

actually, i have some at work.. I'll run down tomorrow and grab some.... see what they measure out at internally.. :)

I'm trying to use some 1.5" and 1.75" DOM for the slides I have kicking around as opposed to buying something... and using the old springs hanging off the upper cradle.. it could conceivably work..... stay tuned for updates...

had to order cutoff wheels, so that may take a few days...

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, I'll have to try it.... love blowing thru alum with carbides.. tho yeah, noise and chaff are big downfalls... always dread the alum chaff lingering in the shop, house, socks for months on end...

it's part of why I went bandsaw as opposed to Evo.. not a huge fan of screamin banshees... :haha:
The Evo doesn't spin as fast as a regular circular saw. I still want one, but when I had the choice the first time I went bandsaw too lol.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
here's what I have going on, with what I had....

I opted for 1/8", 3" angle in the center cuz i like the tight radius it has over the thicker stuff.... flanked by 1/4" pieces.... it's 18" wide....

full

obviously I'll burn in the top edges and grind as needed...

the posts are just cut real long at this point till I figure out a spring setup....

full

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I dont even use my plasma for plate steel anymore after buying one of these, its quick, clean, and will do some serious material.

View attachment 400221

i went to depot today to pick up a 7 1/4" steel blade for the circ saw, and of course it was the only one empty...... picked up a 10 pack of cutoffs to get me by....

definitely gonna try it out tho...

warrpath4x4

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
i went to depot today to pick up a 7 1/4" steel blade for the circ saw, and of course it was the only one empty...... picked up a 10 pack of cutoffs to get me by....

definitely gonna try it out tho...

I get using what you have surplus of, I was using a circ saw with a metal cutting blade before i got the eastwood saw, night and day difference.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I get using what you have surplus of, I was using a circ saw with a metal cutting blade before i got the eastwood saw, night and day difference.

night/day between that eastwood and a circ saw with similar blade? i've seen people use them here and there on channels...

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
ya night and day between the 2 saws with similar blades.

wow, that thing must be pretty stout.. circ saws are pretty snotty... is it a special blade? I'm guessing that's like 5"?

so, I'm happy with the bottom die setup... gonna be stoopid stout... got a whole plug-welding, etc plan of attack sharpie'd out.....

I'll finish it totally before welding the uprights on... I'm pretty certain from what I've seen, that's by far the most difficult part, having the upper slide smoothly on the posts...

so before i put the uprights in, I'm gonna switch to the upper... I think I have a few ideas... I just dread the drilling/tapping.... only cloudy area is the spring deal..

*note to Ryoken - go down to the marina for springs.. i also need to pick up some 60 grit DA.... I eat that chit on everything.. :pimp1:

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
FTR.. I am considering using the old springs.. hanging from the upper cradle down to the upper die... yes, setup is a tad longer hooking up the 2 springs, but it could work well...

I'll see.. it was just a glimmer of a brainfart..... I don't want to spend a dime here really...

and yes, I'm doing a poor man finger setup..

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was watching some videos of that Eastwood in action, and it looks SLOW.....
Less chips flying maybe. But way too slow for my liking. :dunno: . I'll have to watch a few more though. May be just the operators.

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
so.... got the stuff ready for welding....

full

full

got about 3/4 of it all burned in, AND I run out of 75/25 at 3:30.....

ok, fug it, going on a commando mission out to Lakewood and get it filled before closing..... fly out there.. upgrade my bottle to the next size up... 120 cf maybe? fits perfect...

full

than i realized why i ran out.. i was getting low, but heard a "pop" a couple minutes before it died...

the gas hose blew..... everyone was like a week to get it to me....... nothing some good adhesive-lined shrink tube wouldn't fix! :haha:

full

back at it in the morn.....

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
other than the posts, the lower is done...

full

oh, and i'm an idjit.... :deal: the old springs cant work... but I picked up a 4.3 head I had kicking around at the marina.... we'll see how a pair on each side works.... tho, it means I'll have to get some post material from McBible... be about $20 shipped....

oh, another minor mod I'm going to do is to put a much pointier end on the 2 rods.. so they are much easier going thru the holes...

so, tomorrow after playing some pool with the boys, I'll take a look at those springs, and start on the hard part, the upper....

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will springs like that have a long enough compression/ extension rate..? I'd think you'd have to have more travel

Top Bottom