CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Sealed beam to H4 conversion

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Since my truck doesn't get driven much (few times a year), I can't justify the really nice LED lights.

Seems the H4 conversions are likely to be a much more cost effective option, for my uses. I need better headlights, no way around it, but I don't particularly need them to be real durable. Need to see further, need better illumination out to the sides, etc. I value others results that have done this. My daily drivers are much newer, and I have zero issue with their headlights. If I can get somewhere between old style sealed beam output, and modern car headlight output, I'd be happy.

Anyone here used this setup? https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Go-Rectangular-Conversion-Headlights/dp/B07NGRJ7F7/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1GGCNLJB13MSV&keywords=4x6+headlight+conversion&qid=1652344604&sprefix=4x6+headlight+conversion,aps,237&sr=8-5

I see some reviewers state they were a loose fit in the buckets, or that the light quality wasn't good (probably bulb related), but if I have to go out and source better bulbs, that's not a big deal if I'm only shelling out $70 for four of them. And as advertised, you end up with quad hi/low beams to boot, which I'd planned to do. (For $46 you can buy just the four housings, and get your own H4's FWIW link for future reference: Bare H4 housings)

If I go this route unfortunately I'll be pressed for time to install, but I'd love to do a comparison of before/after, to include before/after the relay modification to the headlight circuit.

bigjimmy82

1-Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My truck was improved enough with the relay kit and nice stock bulbs, Sylvania in a purple box I think, xtravision.

However, my experience with cheaper replacement headlight housings on newer vehicles is that China nails the look, but not the optics. (Edit: light scatters everywhere, poorly defined cutoff, etc versus factory lights, even with same bulbs.) I’ve replaced yellowing factory housings on a Ram and Acura with similar results. Both “CAPA” certified brands from rockauto. I had great luck with the 2nd Gen ram housings, but 3rd Gen are not as great. Just .02 on cheaper housings.

Dad’s burb is 2 headlight system and we have a hella h4 kit waiting to get installed. I’ll make sure to do before/afters.

blackhemirt

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I run the harness and headlight lenses from LMC truck with some great led bulbs i found, also Tahoe/yukon style fog lights to light right in front.
Really happy with this setup, i can finally see at night! 20220509_174247.jpg 20220422_174302.jpg

Last edited:

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If you plan on the H4’s and not go LED you really need to add the relays to the harness to get the best out of them.

H4’s on stock wiring is ok. But getting the relays in the system will put the voltage to the h4 bulbs that they need.

I found my ‘75 had a voltage drop of over 2 volts at the headlights with the stock wiring. Engine running and the alternator putting out 14.5-7 the plug at the headlight showed right at 12v.

That difference in voltage is common to all squares with stock wiring. Put a different way, my ‘75 on relays and H4’s with the low beams on were obviously brighter than my buddy’s ‘78 with stock wiring and the high beams on.

Big Ray

My Avatar Is Indicative Of My Daffitude
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've done the H4 swap on both my motorcycles when I had them.

It was before the flood of chinese crap. Loved them.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I haven't ever bought new housings for the 4"×6" lights, but I have swapped 3 trucks with 7" round and 1 truck with 5"×7" headlights to Hella housings and had great results. I don't know if they have versions for the 4x6, but I would buy them if they did. Very nice beam pattern and fit in the trucks.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
The problem with even the Hella's is that they are more than I really want to pay for such limited use. Gets me into the "mightaswell" territory for full blown LEDs. Which I'd do in a heartbeat, except the $1000 price tag.

I have not tested the voltage at the headlights now, but if the voltage drop is that bad (my alternator also puts out 14+) then perhaps I better see what the drop is now. I'd prefer not to have to change headlights at all if I don't have to.

I was unaware that beam pattern/cutoff was a potential issue with the H4 design. I suppose pretty naive to think that it takes no skill or effort to make an acceptable housing. And there is no point in swapping if I'm not going to end up with a guaranteed better result than I started with.

Ugh, those LFRB120 Holleys look better and better at ~$360 for two. If they are as good as it seems they are, no real reason to need to swap all four over.

Last edited:

bigjimmy82

1-Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had not seen those Holley lights, those may be the best of both worlds. Stock look and better light.

cheavyk10

5.slow
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I picked up a set of 5"x7" Hella h4's from Amazon, and unfortunately they were the euro version. They had a beam pattern that shot a beam off to the left to highlight the shoulder of the road in Europe, but in America all that would do is blind on coming traffic.
I sent em back. Screenshot_20220513-121316-586.png
This is the photo straight from Amazon. The old reversed photo trick. (Look at the triangle pattern in the glass). Hella does make a dot version, although harder to find.

Last edited:

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I picked up a set of 5"x7" Hella h4's from Amazon, and unfortunately they were the euro version. They had a beam pattern that shot a beam off to the left to highlight the shoulder of the road in Europe, but in America all that would do is blind on coming traffic.
I sent em back. View attachment 412100
This is the photo straight from Amazon. The old reversed photo trick. (Look at the triangle pattern in the glass). Hella does make a dot version, although harder to find.
I had a set of those. They worked great!
I researched the E code before buying and everything I found said that there was no left side kick-up to the beam pattern as the DOT ones have because Europe requires that all major roads have the signs illuminated.
I can tell you that I mine were definitely E code with no left side kick-up.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I hate having choices lol.

I've always wanted a four hi/four low headlight setup, and while the Hella housings could be used for that, I'm not sure the Holley Retrobrights aren't so good that two of those would perform as good or better than two or four Hella conversions.

I'd like to see a comparison between those two actually, the old sealed beams are night and day difference, but if the Hellas are close to what the Holleys can do, it muddies the waters.

Top Bottom