searching in build thread

NorCal69

Professional Nail Bender
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Should be in the search function. At least it use to be a function that said search this thread and you typed in the key words.

ChrisAwesome

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just found it now too. Does it make sense to make it a default option? If somebody wants to do global search, they would usually go straight to FORUMS->Search Forums

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks, I just found it now too. Does it make sense to make it a default option? If somebody wants to do global search, they would usually go straight to FORUMS->Search Forums
Setting what to default?

ChrisAwesome

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
No it shouldn't default like that since it is the "global" search.
There are multiple ways to search.
First and foremost is FORUMS->Search Forums.
Second is searching in right top search field WHILE being on main forum page (HOME > FORUMS) - that currently defaults to global search
Third is searching in right top search field WHILE being in subforum page (e.g. HOME > FORUMS > General Discussion) - that currently defaults to 'search within subforum'
Fourth is searching in right top search field WHILE being in a thread (e.g. HOME > FORUMS > General Discussion > The Driveway (build threads)) - that currently defaults to 'search within subforum' too

I'm only suggesting to change the way search box works for the Fourth one. If you are in the thread, you most likely want to search stuff within that thread. And you can always click to select global search anyway.

Abusfullofnuns

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to give my $.02 where it wasn’t solicited.....I’ve never used the search button to search within a thread. It’s always been for a global search or within a sub forum.

ChrisAwesome

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really? Am I the only one? I'm struggling with build threads as they often run to 20+ pages. If I want to see how somebody did something, it gets difficult to scroll through all pages. And asking thread starters questions about how they did the stuff that they explained few pages earlier is lame.
Much easier to search within the thread for 'TBI' or 'dana'.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There are multiple ways to search.
First and foremost is FORUMS->Search Forums.
Second is searching in right top search field WHILE being on main forum page (HOME > FORUMS) - that currently defaults to global search
Third is searching in right top search field WHILE being in subforum page (e.g. HOME > FORUMS > General Discussion) - that currently defaults to 'search within subforum'
Fourth is searching in right top search field WHILE being in a thread (e.g. HOME > FORUMS > General Discussion > The Driveway (build threads)) - that currently defaults to 'search within subforum' too

I'm only suggesting to change the way search box works for the Fourth one. If you are in the thread, you most likely want to search stuff within that thread. And you can always click to select global search anyway.

I understand the different ways to search, I only use the one field that’s easily accessible on the top right. Maybe 1 out of 5 searches I’ll narrow down to a particular thread therefore I find a default setting that narrow will be annoying.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was only saying the search within thread as an possible option when you hit search while in a build thread.

Then again, my thread has an index on post 1
:whistle:

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I was only saying the search within thread as an possible option when you hit search while in a build thread.

Then again, my thread has an index on post 1
:whistle:

That is an option. Type the search word in and click the box “search this thread only”.

Top Bottom