Secure your load !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Jul 11, 2019.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

See way too many incidents like this around here lately...:eek:
    plywood thru windshield.jpg

Seems like every few days on the news I see a similar incident...:doah:

2. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dam!!... are they all right?

3. diesel4me

This incident happened in Florida last October,a 35 year old woman escaped serious injury --how the hell she wasn't killed I don't know..

I saw this on a FB post,thought it was recent and local,till I did some googling..but a dozen or more similar "car gets impaled by" stories in the news here lately had me fooled thinking it was another one in MA or New England...one woman was killed when a manhole cover got chucked at her car by dual wheels on a passing semi near Boston awhile back,and numerous other objects that flew out of truck beds or got run over have been shown on the news in recent weeks..

Did you see the news story about the woman who had her KIDS sit in a wading pool on the roof of her car "to hold it down while she drove home" ?...:screwy:

Illinois Mom Arrested After Driving With Kiddie Pool Full of Kids On Roof: Cops | Inside Edition

4. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Had a coworker escape serious injury, when a loose tire bounced into the A pillar and windshield, on his 90's s10

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    We had a driver ticketed for an unsecured load when a plastic grocery store bag flew out of the hopper of his garbage truck on a windy day.

Just throwing out the other extreme...

79rustyk10 likes this.
  6. diesel4me

7. bsgreen

bsgreen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I had some guys aftermarket rear spoiler come flying off his subaru forester and towards my truck last year. Luckily I was able to hop in the other lane. It went past me and the guy behind me ran it over. :eek: bet he lost 10 horsepower soon as it fell off

8. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    I had someone lose his 12 foot aluminum boat off his trailer in front of me on the highway a few years back. Took a little evasive maneuvering to keep from hitting it as it skidded across a couple of lanes before hitting the ditch. Sure wish I had a dash cam that day...not something you see every week.

rdn2blazer likes this.
  9. bsgreen

bsgreen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I'm with you on the dash cam. There is always something stupid/crazy happening on the work commute

KirsL and tRustyK5 like this.
  10. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    I drive a garbage truck 60 ish hours a week. I usually OD on stupid by Wednesday most weeks. :D

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was riding with our sales manager in a company car one day when a garbage truck in front of us ran over a half sheet of 3/4" plywood laying on the freeway. The suction
    of the truck going over it made the plywood levetate about headlight hight and it smashed into the front grill, another couple of inches, and it surely would have come thru the windshield...

I've seen tires with axles come out on the freeway,

A water pump fell off of a crushed car carrier.. bounced into oncoming traffic,

An 18 wheeler lost a tire and went into oncoming traffic, hit a 1 1/2 ton delivery truck, slid under the front xmember and lifted the front wheels off the ground... the guy had no steering....he slid to a stop safely.

Saw a tow behind air compressor unhitch in an intersection, and smash head on into an oncoming 18 wheeler...

I think I saw pictures here on CK5 of a tractor trailer u-joint that went thru someone's windshield???

Man, when your time is up...it's up!!!

rdn2blazer likes this.
  12. diesel4me

My '69 GTO got the whole pasenger side,rear quarter sail panel and trunk lid ruined by a 18 wheeler trailer tire & brake drum that came off just after it had passed me and pulled back into my lane back in the mid 80's..
    I was lucky I was able to slide the car sideways so the tire impacted the right front fender & door,instead of coming straight at me like it would have had I not swerved!..was also lucky there was no cars right next to mine,I didn't have time to look--my "enduro bumper" left a green stripe on the concrete jersey barriers for several hundred feet,somehow I managed to get the car off onto the right shoulder,but I do not remember anything after I heard the tire hit the car..

I also watched a 70's Ford pickup with a big slide in camper pass me on Rt.495 one day ,and as it passed me,I could see the camper's "bed" that hangs over the truck cab lifting up several inches as the wind gusted--the tie downs were either not attached or had broke,and after the truck sped by me going about 80 mph and got about a 1/4 mile ahead of me--the whole camper did a flip,the front part over the cab flew up towards the rear of the truck,and it flew up about 10 feet in the air,then smashed into 1000 pieces in the second lane!..

I had little time to swerve,in my 72 K5 you don't do evasive manuvers at 65 mpg without risking rolling it--I ended up running over some 2x3's and a big hunk pf pink fiberglass insulation stuck to my grille,some got sucked into the fan & belts--I just kept going until I was far away from the scene,then had to pull over and remove the insulation off the grille,I didn't bother trying to get it out of the belts..luckily I got no flats from running over the wood,which probably was loaded with nails ..

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I forgot another one that I was involved in...
    I was driving my new girlfriend's RX-7
    home after I dropped her off at the airport..

Cruising down I-10 in the middle lane when a caddy in front of me ran over a metal drywall stud...It flipped straight up in the air heading straight towards my windshield.
    I snapped the wheel hard right and then back hard left,, missing the stud... except the car spun...right into the retaining wall.

It was not one of my favorite phone calls I had to make... The car was less than a year old...and she had worked hard to get it.

I had it fixed at a Mazda dealer and replaced everything that was even the slightest bit tweaked...