Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering shaft looks loose(pic's)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Aug 7, 2003.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status Premium Member

steering shaft looks loose(pic\'s)

The connection point on the steering shaft (where the column connects to the shaft) seems loose.

It looks as if there is supposed to be a seal or something there.It wobbles quite a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should it be like this or should there be a rubber insulator or something in there?

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Re: steering shaft looks loose(pic\'s)

Mine looks a little bit like that - not quite that loose. I am definately missing something though. The steering wheel and shaft move in and out about a quarter of a inch. My understanding is that I am missing a spring someplace in the column. When I pull the steering wheel out (towards the driver seat) the rubber seal stays in place and the rest moves up with it.

3. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Great pix. They make it much easier to see what your dealing with.

My '72 looks the same. I have decided to throw some grease in there w/ a needle nose on the end of my grease gun and just keep an eye on it until I can get around to replacing. I think the slop is caused by wear instead of missing parts, but I have seen schematics showing a spring reinforced seal to hold grease in the upper joint.

My lift is a 5'' suspension lift, and not extreme enough to warrant the $$$ for a nice u-joint setup. However, someone posted a how to last week using a coupler/shaft out of an '80's full sized van. If your lift puts any strain on the steering shaft, it may be worth a look.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ya I saw that post and I might head out to the j-yard and have a look-see at one of those vans.
    I have NO lift,body or suspension,so I'm dealing with a stock setup here.
    It just seems there should be something else in that coupler other than grease!

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think that is a plastic u-joint in there...just like in my tilt column. They shouldn't have much slop and also don't need much grease (they just hate grit!).