steroid shot in the spine

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
You gotta move like others have said. If you wait until you feel good to move stretch or walk, you will likely never do it. Thing is, these are the things you have to do before you start feeling better.

At some point you need an MRI to determine how bad you are actually messed up. Disks don’t heal, they only get worse over time if you are pressuring them. The excercise keeps the muscles tone and keeps the pressure off.

Bone benders and pain management have a limited capacity to help for a limited amount of time. Kicking the can down the road imo.

I am now 4 months post op after an L2-L5 fusion. Cut me from front and back 3 days in between. Prior to surgery I couldn’t stand for more than 2 minutes. Now I’m walking 2 miles a day, every day, (and did it inside due to the weather and ice)and doing some limited core excercises. I am now pain free. Don’t get me wrong, I can still tell I was cut, drilled and screwed, but that should all go away as time passes.

I held out as long as I could, but when you‘re miserable 24/7 and you can’t wipe your ass without being in agony, (figuratively speaking) It’s time to get the frame straightener out and fix it right. Not a fun process but the ends justify the means. Had C4-5-6 done 10 years ago, should have done that sooner too. And make sure you have a Neurosurgeon do it vs an Ortho.
I don't think I could go thru any surgery like that...
I tend to think it is muscular in nature,seeing a shower can set off the pain,and pills can sometimes almost completely eliminate the pain..I am just so out of shape from doing basically nothing the past year (or more) that my muscles are very flabby and have atrophied some...add in curvature of the spine,and the arthritis, and its a bad combination..

I'm about ready to give in and call for a ride to the ER..

I was doing fairly well until yesterday after 6 pm,the pain returned,not "horrible" but bad enough to worry me the pills weren't going to help much or for long,I'm probably developing tolerance to them..have not taken any since midnight ..may take some soon though..

This morning's stool had some red blood on it,probably from a hemmroid,nothing new for me,but its been a few months since I last noted any..didn't have to strain either to pass it,but have had some rough ones in previous days..colon cancer has always been a fear,and I've only had those "mail in" tests done,I'm unwilling to go thru a normal colonscopy..all came back negative..

Lower sacroilliac is sore again,the "shot in my left arm" pain has returned,and the left leg,hip & groin are somewhat sore,along with the groin area on both sides...typically my right side is what always ached ,it has always had some pain ever since surgery to remove the right testes in 2001 after a pre-cancerous tumor was found ,and it was basically undeveloped since puberty,it had to go.
I suffered with pain there probably 10 years before I got to the point I couldn't stand it much longer,the thought of surgery terrified me so bad..then the doctor schedules the operation 6 months later!..after saying "It should be removed asap"..:screwy:
It was the "soonest" appointment available so they told me..

I think they botched something when they did the surgery..had pain off and on ever since on that side,but MRI's and X rays taken a few months after,didn't show anything out of the ordinary..
They wounded my throat when they inserted the breathing tube after they put me under too,but wouldn't admit to it--one of the nurses in the OR did finally tell me "they had a tough time recessitating you",and the other nurses in the recovery room scoweled at her and said "you shouldn't have told him that"...and I wished I had gone to a "real" hospital in Boston instead of the closest one to home with a less than stellar reputation...

Ever since then I've had trouble swallowing,food hanging up in my throat,and they blamed "acid reflux",put me on ranitidine ,which is now banned due to being suspected of causing cancer..was taking it 10 years,along with omeprezole..

The doctor who did the surgery was supposedly "the best one in the area"...can't prove it by me though..
I've had a tough time trusting any doctors or surgeons period,and these experiences certainly haven't helped me any in that regard..
I wouldn't let any of the local surgeons cut on me again..
The only "operation" I had since to remove cataracts in 2012 went very smoothly and was painless,but I was still scared to death I'd end up blind or something..

The fact I'm 62 and will likely not heal up well or as quickly as I would if I were younger discourages me from agreeing to surgery,not to mention the fact I'll be so terrified I may just die of fright first dreading the day it may have to happen..on top of having no one to help me at home after surgery ,unless I have my older sister come ,which will likely end up being a bigger hassle,she's not in great health herself and last time she "visited" she stayed over a month,slep most of the time, and we ended up arguing and at each others throats..it's been 4 years since she last visited--we get alone fine so long as she's not "living" with me..

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Decided at 7 am Friday I couldn't stand the pain any longer,so I called the FD rescue wagon to take me to the ER at the nearest hospital..
To my surprise,no one questioned me about covid symptoms,nor was I tested either,they just wheeled me into an exam room..:screwy:..the paramedics said I'd likely be tested,but nope--no one even said boo...

They got me "registered" and a doctor looked me over within the first half hour,then I was left alone in the room a good hour,before a nurse finally came in and said "we're taking you to get some X-rays"--that took about 5 minutes,then back to the room--where I laid in severe agony for a good 2-1/2 hours on a gurney that was two feet shorter than I am,with a mattress that was hard and I ended up struggling to get out of the dam thing twice,and urinated in the jug they provided for a urine test--took both times to get enough out to be useful...

I was much worse off there than I'd have been at home--I wished I hadn't gone now,and I laid there in agony ,finally after I heard someone say "It's 10:30: outside the room,I pressed the "nurse" button on the remote..I heard a beeper go off out in the reception area..it beeped a good 6 minutes before a nurse finally came..
(Glad I wasn't having a heart attack or stroke!)..

I told her "I'm not trying to be a dink here--but I've been lying here in agony,basically ignored,for almost 3 hours,and they haven't even drawn blood or taken my urine sample to the lab,(which takes a good hour,according to the sign on the wall)..
"I also haven't eaten anything since 7 pm last night,other than a few bites of cereal and a little milk at 6 am...my head is starting to throb and I'm feeling dizzy--and this thing I'm lying on is worse than a bed of nails!"..
I told her "I cant lay here much longer--if its going to take another hour or more to get the x-ray and test results,I may as well get dressed and go home and suffer in more comfortable surroundings"..

"Oh,I'm sorry--I'll go get you something and be right back to take your blood sample"...
She returned about 10 minutes later with half of a small styrofoam cup,half full of orange juice,and a blueberry muffin...

I started eating it and right away I knew I was going to regret it--blueberry muffins almost always make me ill,or get the trots..
I sipped on the orange juice,and it was lousy--tasted to me like it had Miralax mixed in with it...but I drank it and ate the muffin anyways,I was starved and knew I'd be in trouble if I left my stomach empty much longer..

The nurse returns and draws my blood sample,I said "I "fasted" thinking it would affect the test results,my doctor always says "no foor or drink 12 hours prior"..
"Oh it wont matter"...:confused:

About 15 minutes later the doctor finally returned,told me the x-rays of my spine ,leg and hip look "normal".and its likely a nerve issue,that is pinched or inflamed,and he prescribed some steriod pills similar to prednisolone ,and 5 lidocane patches to wear at night--and 8 flexeril pills.7.5 mg...told him I had been on flexeril in the past and hated it,it made my vision so blurred and me so groggy,I felt hung over for 2 days after taking only one..
"Just use them at night if needed,to help you sleep"..

I asked about CBD,he said many patients of his "have reported good results using the oil or creams,but it doesn't last long,and is quite expensive"...the nurse said its been a "Godsend" for her elderly dad,who was practically bedridden till he started using some..

I called my neighbor to see if she could give me a ride home--she was angry at me,said "I TOLD you I'd bring you to the ER anytime I was able too--why didn't you call ME,I watched in horror as they loaded you in the rescue wagon--and I've called the hospital TWICE and told them to let you know I called,and could give you a ride home if need be"!...
I told her I didn't know if she had to work,and didn't want to bother her--besides--if they let me be ignored for 4 hours after being taken in by ambulance--how long would they ignore me if I was a "walk in"?--also,what if I had a major issue en-route ?...

She came and got me,and I barely made it home,we stopped at the pharmacy to drop off the prescriptions,and I was fearing I was going to :poop: myself,that muffin and OJ was boiling in my anus..
Soon as I got in the house I headed for the toilet...:doah:

After that,I hobbled to the recliner,got undressed,took 2 advils (they gave me nothing at the hospital,I was expecting a shot in the a$$ of some steroid--or at least a tylenol!)...but I guess so many addicts go to the ER faking "back pain" to get demerol or whatever,they no longer do that..

I laid in the recliner ,in more agony now than before I went to the ER...took two advils,and about a half hour later I passed out,I was up all night and didn't sleep hardly at all the past several weeks--when I "came to" about 2:30 pm--most of the pain was gone,and I felt much better--even was able to go pick up my scripts around 4 pm without any real trouble...but soon as I got home,it was another attack of diarrea...

I think that nurse spiked the OJ just because I didn't feel like lying there another 3-4 hours...the place was not "busy" all morning,in fact the place was pretty much deserted the whole time I was there..they are in a big rush to get your billing info,and the intial exam started--after that your left to rot (or croak) until they feel you've been there long enough--probably to get more $$$$ out of insurance..

So I've been taking advil and one tylenol since 8 pm last night.pain returned around 5 am,not horrible,but bad enough--took the steriods and haven't used those patches yet,I'm waiting till tonight for that..

Oh yeah..to make the day complete,while I was eating supper about 7 pm,a frigging MOUSE ran across the living room,and spent the next 45 minutes racing from room to room...:angry1:
I had caught a deer mouse a few days ago in a trap in the kitchen,but this one was a gray mouse,and I put 3 more traps out last night,but the bastard didn't take the bait evidently..

I had maybe 3 mice in the house all winter,but it seems as soon as march started,an invasion has begun...I have a hard time sleeping knowing mice are around,I've had one run across my chest in bed before..and the fact they crap & piss everywhere and spread disease isn't good..like I don't have enough problems..
Pain is increasing now...may have to go lay down again..:angry1:

Kain

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
for about 15 days, doc said he is going to pinpoint it better and should work longer

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I most likely will be taking a reluctant ambulance ride to the ER today or tomorrow,pain is absolutely unbeareable the past 3 days and I'm ready to take something that will stop it permanently if they cant give me something that will at least let me stand up 5 minutes to cook something or sit down at the computer more than 30 seconds..
I haven't been able to put my pants on and go check for mail for crissakes..:angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1:

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't worry,I've been screaming to GOD enough lately that he must know what I'm up against....(but hasn't eased the pain any)..
My f-n right leg is now the dead one,and the left still hurts,but nowhere near as bad as the right one now--feels like a super charley horse around the ankle/calf,but its my sacroilliac thats the source of the pain,weird thing is it dont really hurt there,its my dam legs,its like I am getting paralyzed.
Sciatica doesn't usually switch sides either...my stomach is taking a beating from all the advil ,etc too...ready to call a hospice and start picking out a grave stone...so sick of this :poo:,not getting more than 1-2 hrs of sleep 5 minutes at a time ...but mostly the PAIN....
I'm not leaving the hospital this time until I get an injection or some really strong pain killer...

Have to get off the computer--pisses me off,of course there are 50 things I'd like to read,people messaging me I should get back to..but I cant stand it any more..:(

Kain

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
thats what worries me is its starting to move down the legs.........

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
thats what worries me is its starting to move down the legs.........
The shots still worry me, because the actual problem is still there, you just can't feel it for a while(if the shot even works).

Meanwhile it's still getting worse.

While it feels better you should be strengthening your core as much as possible, it is the most important thing you can do from my perspective.

Kain

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
yep was a concern to but the pain and numbness is getting worse.................

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well,so far I've not called an ambulance--but the day ain't over yet either..
Had the usual severe "charely horse" calf pain all night in the right leg,and the left still has stiff bruised feeling muscles...took two more advil at 2:15 am,didn't help much..also popped an aspirin,hoping it may reduce the inflamation better,but I know its taboo to "mix" asprin with Advil..didn't really care at that point..

Got up in agony,could not even stand on my right leg more than 30 seconds,so my breakfast consisted of coffee and a bowl of cereal..
Laid back down for a hour or so,then forced myself to take a dump,it had been 2 days and man.it was like cement,thought I'd pass out before finally getting it out of me,and to my dismay,it was not very much--felt like 10 lbs,but only 2 tirds came out,but of course,I haven't eaten hardly anything either..

An hour after lying down again,I forced myself to take a shower..
Had to wait 15 minutes with the water running before it got "hot" enough to feel comfortable,and it never last long--I managed to get thru about 5 minutes of it and after I got out of the shower I was still in agony....after drying off with the hair dryer I noticed the pain easing,and almost completely ...
Should have gone back to bed,but no,I HAD to sit here and log on--instantly the pain is back again..
I hate to go thru all the BS of getting to the ER and going thru what they put me thru last time (came out in more pain than I went in with,and no real releif from what they prescribed again..especially when it "comes and goes" ..

But if it keeps increasing I will have no choice..at least I wont smell like a elderly man with urine soaked underclothes if I go there today or tomorrow..was over a week since my last unpleasant shower...I have to do something about the lack of hot water..
Time to shut off the computer...:(

Chief Brody

Chief of Amity Police
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Heating pad, and dont go to ER, contact the docs office and ask for a Toradol shot and some muscle relaxers to ease your cramps.
The leg pain is probably neural but your spasms are causing a lot of pain too. Do bridging to help strengthen core and align back...link blow.

bridging

Do this too:

Reclining-leg-stretch-with-straps.jpg

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
yep was a concern to but the pain and numbness is getting worse.................
Because you keep masking the problem instead of finding it and solving it. That is my issue with how medicine has transformed here in the US

Chief Brody

Chief of Amity Police
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sometimes you need immediate relief before you can setup the fix for it. The fix for it will be surgery.

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant even sit 5 minutes to type a reply.or read anything online--last night was another F-N horror show,as far as pain (charley-horse) and no sleep,pain on both sides too,or alternating..--

Long story short my doctor's office refused entry to the building when I tried to see him 2 months ago,and several "telehealth" calls to his nurses,another collasal waste of time (and they get PAID the same as seeing you in person),I was told "go to the ER and make sure its not blood clots..we cant help you.he'll just send you there anyways"..

I've used heat pads,ice packs,lidocane patches,they dont do squat,only make it worse 75% of the time..I'm feeling poisoned by all the advil even though I try taking only 2 400mg every 8 hours..
Believe me the last dam place I want to go back to is the ER after the BS I was put thru last time,with no relief..they made me worse..

Top Bottom