Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swapping newer body onto older frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kevin_saun, Jan 14, 2003.

1. kevin_saun

kevin_saun Registered Member

little advice for a newby please guys.....Im currently building a blazer with 8in superlift, 3/4 ton(14ff,d44)the frame that i sandblasted ,sealed and painted is a 77, im looking at a body an 86 to be exact, but i remember reading somewheres that to put a newer body on an old frame that there was some modification to do, mounts or somthing like that, any help appreciated, thxs in advance.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The '86 has a footwell for the rear seat passengers. The '77 didn't have that feature. The shape of the frame was changed to accomodate the rear footwell in the newer K5's. You're in for a bit of fabricating to mate the two. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. kevin_saun

will a body lift help to clear? im not opposed to a body lift, but would rather not have 1

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I am not totally sure about where you live (fill out your profile) but older will be less restrictive as far as emisions go. If you want the look of the 86 you can always change out the front clip.

Although if the body is shot, then it is a mute point.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never tried to mate them, 'cause I'd heard that they aren't an easy fit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You'd need to start taking measurements on both frames and see just how much of a difference there is.

6. kevin_saun

my 77 body is rotted out, i live on the east coast, new brunswick, on the border with maine(canadian side). my frame is all sandblasted, sealed-epoxy primer, painted, as with everything else on the truck, total tear down, i can get an 86 or 87 body for 200.00 (about 100 US.. haha) this is why I ask about using the newer body on old frame, any more help greatly appreciated guys.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Mine is an 85 body on a 76 frame if memory serves. You will have to have a minimum of 2 inch body lift and you will have to remove one crossmember from the older frame. The crossmember is behind the tcase and sits higher than the frame rails. Maybe a 3 inch body lift would clear it but never tried. Don't forget to put your own custom crossmember back in... All the body bolts line right up.