CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

Talk me into / out of a Fitech/holley sniper system

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about going to an aftermarket TBI system on my 4.3L. Engine has a roller cam, vortec heads, headers, Edelbrock performer intake, HEI distributor, and 9.5:1CR. Rated for 200 hp stock, who knows what the bolt ons and bump in CR will get above that. It will be at the lower side of any one of these systems regardless.

Fuel system will be returnless. I could add a return but would rather not. I already have an in tank 255Lph pump and regulator.

Now I have read countless threads on these things. I am a firm believer that most of what you read online are the vocal minority. Everyone wants to post about their problem to get help. Hardy anyone posts when everything goes well other than in their build threads. I would bet for every 1 problem install there are 10 with no issues at all.

So yeah, I am down to three systems will list my pros and cons.

FiTech Go Street 400 HP system. $860
Pro: All my current engine needs, The cheapest system, controls the one fan I have.

Cons: Less future proofing. No timing control, no second fan. No color screen. apparently has less tuning settings than the bigger units. Smaller company with smaller support group. I don't have facebook so I cant use their main support networks.

Fitech Go EFI 4 600 HP system $1000
Pros: Timing control, color screen, more tuning options. More future proof if I move it to another vehicle down the road.

Cons: same ones for above minus timing

Holley sniper system. $1060
Pros: Timing control, 2 fan control, Huge company and large support base. Way better screen setup and add ons. Can be tuned from laptop.

Cons: price.

Honestly I am really on the fence about this. Reading on here and other places makes Fitech sound great. I have read threads on other forums that make holley sound great. I am still leaning towards the Holley setup just because of the better screen and the after sales support network.

What are your thoughts?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
You read my story on sniper ?

If i had to do TBI again i would use fitech .

I read lots dropping sniper to go to other brands .

TankedUp

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just gave away the sniper and fitech I had tried years ago, running proflo4. Fitech for me was more reliable, think most of my problems were fuel system related. Sniper I chased multiple issues. Never could get it nailed down. But my boss picked up a new sniper 6 months ago for his 350 vette with standard trans. Says it’s flawless. Maybe they fixed whatever the first ones had a flaw with.

Last edited:

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
You read my story on sniper ?

If i had to do TBI again i would use fitech .

I read lots dropping sniper to go to other brands .

Yes I have. I noted Screen issues, Poor fuel millage, Sensor temperature discrepancies, lack of self learning, and customer service as your issues. Anything I missed?

Don't take this as me dismissing your problems but I have been doing a bit of research into this without any brand loyalty or grudges.

It seems that holley had a batch of bad temp sensors, this is also a known Fitech problem with those same sensors. I have budgeted getting an ACdelco one to replace it with either system if needed

Fitech has bad screens too. Maybe that's just with the 400hp unit or older units. It seems the newer or higher end stuff has a different designed screen. At least with the holley I can plug in my laptop if the screen is dead.

FITech's customer service has plenty of posts on how crappy it can be too. Not answering the phone seems to be a common thing in the past.

It may be worth noting that I will be purchasing it with a credit card that gets me an extra year of warranty after the original one expires. It also has lawyers for a charge back if I get stuck in a situation like yours where it just flat doesn't work and I cant return it.

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use the sniper if it was free. And I’ve owned one
Haha Noted!

Just gave away the sniper and fitech I had tried years ago, running proflo4. Fitech for me was more reliable, think most of my problems were fuel system related. Sniper I chased multiple issues. Never could get it nailed down. But my boss picked up a new sniper 6 months ago for his 350 vette with standard trans. Says it’s flawless. Maybe they fixed whatever the first ones had a flaw with.

Thanks for the input on the newer sniper. I think they both have gotten better with time. My fuel system is tried and true in my opnion. Walbro 255 in the tank.

I will admit that I was leaning towards Fitech because of this forum before. but the laptop turning and more modern screen on the holley is tempting along with the fact that the company wont just disappear someday. Maybe I should just stick with the Fitech first and see how it goes.

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
It appears one of my biggest complaints about FiTech has been solved. Apparently they can be accessed and tuned with a laptop. FiTech just doesn't advertise it at all. They don't really want you to have it, or include the software with the lower end systems. If you get your hands on the software it will work.

I will order a Go EFI 4 600 HP kit and give it a shot. I think having the timing control for future proofing will be nice. it's only $250 for a distributor if I want to upgrade. Considering I am using a $50 ebay distributor that I dont know how long it will last. Its nice to have other options besides building my own out of a SBC hei.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I run the FiTech 600hp kit with timing control on the crawler. I've also installed several other FiTech systems on friends vehicles, all of them are still running great. Most issues have been created by the owner or other environment problems (exhaust leaks, wiring race gas etc). I replaced one coolant sensor on the 57 and two had an issue with the 12V+ coming loose from the main board to the display. It's a quick fix with a soldering iron and the display isn't needed for the vehicle to run so it's not something that's going to leave you stranded on the side of the road.

All the sensors for FiTech can be found at your local auto parts store as well.

and I won't run another Holley EFI system after dealing with their tech support.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I think either choice has the same chances of being good or bad. I would base the choice off the features that best meet your needs.

I have a Sniper system and a Pro-Flo 4. If I do another efi system, I'll probably try a Terminator Stealth.

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
if going efi why still NOT let it do timing control ? ? ? seems kind of backwards .
I dont know. Lots of people running 400HP Fitechs which have no timing control. Or snipers with just an HEI. I would do it because My distributor is fine and vortec heads aren't too sensitive to timing. Its not a race engine. I just want more/easier control over AFR especially at cruise. My Truck avenger does weird stuff on the highway. It has limited tuning options without modifying it with all the features of a street carb. The fact that I can let the ECU control other things like the fan are just perks.
I run the FiTech 600hp kit with timing control on the crawler. I've also installed several other FiTech systems on friends vehicles, all of them are still running great. Most issues have been created by the owner or other environment problems (exhaust leaks, wiring race gas etc). I replaced one coolant sensor on the 57 and two had an issue with the 12V+ coming loose from the main board to the display. It's a quick fix with a soldering iron and the display isn't needed for the vehicle to run so it's not something that's going to leave you stranded on the side of the road.

All the sensors for FiTech can be found at your local auto parts store as well.

and I won't run another Holley EFI system after dealing with their tech support.
I'm actually fairly certain fitech and sniper use all the same sensors. Do you have the newer display with the arrows or the older one with the nipple? I think the older displays are the ones that have problems here and there.
I think either choice has the same chances of being good or bad. I would base the choice off the features that best meet your needs.

I have a Sniper system and a Pro-Flo 4. If I do another efi system, I'll probably try a Terminator Stealth.
Yeah trying to find the balance and not get the short end of the stick is hard. Unfortunately I cant fit a Terminator on the engine. HP is probably too low but also it is probably physically too big to fit. The distributor is way closer to the carb on a v6. My 4150 with side hung floats hits my distributor already. the Stealth is based after a 4150 with center hung floats which add some length I think.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm actually fairly certain fitech and sniper use all the same sensors. Do you have the newer display with the arrows or the older one with the nipple? I think the older displays are the ones that have problems here and there.

I haven't compared the part #'s but it wouldn't surprise me if Holley used the same ones. After all, Fitech was the first company to provide a simple and affordable aftermarket EFI option and they all followed suit.
No issues with the displays themselves, just the 12v source coming out the main board wiggles loose (both 600hp kits purchased in 2016). All of the systems are 4-5 years old so they're old displays. Two of them have been upgraded with newer displays since they recently released those as an upgrade to the old systems.

Cheavyk10

The square life
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another option is the Summit max-efi 500. It's actually built by Fitech, but has a different layout then their base unit and also the computer is separate. No timing control though. I have run one for over a year and it's been flawless. I have taken it from sea level to 6500 ft and its worked great. I picked the Summit unit because I know there after sales support would be really good if I had any problems, plus most of the Fitech tech is the same.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I would see if you can find something with a remote ECU. I still wonder how many issues come from the ECU being on the throttle body.

MEMO43

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed
after a little over a year my son an I decided to order the summit max efi kit for his k20.
we did read all the reviews positive or negative an pretty much every system we could get our hands on. They all pretty much have there fair share of them.
We finally settle for the summit version.
Take a look at that system before you pull the trigger on any system out there

Last edited:

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had no issues with my FI tech 600. I think it's possible to get too much tuneability on some of the systems. You can change stuff that doesn't need to be changed, or try to fix problems you don't really have. Not many people really understand engine dynamics enough to use all those different screens. Don't make it too complex...the point of FI is to be easy!

I also have heard some bad things about customer service at Fitech, but luckily, have had no reason to use them. Going on 5 years without an issue.

Top Bottom