Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI or not?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadL, Nov 10, 2001.

  1. ChadL

    ChadL Registered Member

    Mar 31, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I'm done with my Q-Jet. Lookin at Holley's tbi units. I have an intake from a 68 impala with exhaust crossover. This is totally new ground for me and I've read most of the posts from the board onthis subject, now I really don't know what to do. any info would be very appreciated. The carb ran out of fuel going up the Eisenhower Tunnel last week and an eighteen wheeler narrowly missed smashing me from behind. If I adjust to float up on my Jet it floods. I will spend this winter gathering parts, I just don't know which way to go. Thanks!!
  2. Steve_Chin

    Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

    Mar 6, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Foster City, CA, USA
    The problem you described sounds like a fuel delivery problem, not a problem that is endemic to the Quadrajet. Of course, changing to a fuel injection system of some sort should correct that problem, but only because you're replacing a majority of the fuel delivery system.

    That said, it's no secret that I'm not a big fan of throttle body injection systems of any sort. They are merely better-controlled fuel leaks into your intake stream than a carburetor. If you're going to spend the bucks to convert to fuel injection, I'd suggest going with a port injection setup of some kind. It is more expensive, but it is also much better controlled because the atomized fuel will have less of a chance to fall out of suspension.
  3. Thunder

    Thunder 3/4 ton status

    Jul 20, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Northeast Nevada
    If you want a TBI set up I think the best way to go is the GM sysyem. They are very reliable, and unlike the Holley systems you can get parts for them at just about at any parts store Or GM dealer. The holley pro jection systems require adjustments
    And unless they have fixed the problem, the jets sometimes have leak problems after a few years. The new Holley Comander TBI is a better system than the projection.

    Here are 2 sites who sell the complete GM system that will adapt to any V8.

    I have dealt with turbocity and they were very knolageable in FI and their parts are quality. Their TBI kits are a fairly easy install with everything labeled well and a 4 wire hook up. If you dont allready have one the GM FI needs a HEI or other type of electronic(non points) distributor

    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

Share This Page