CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Tell me about Mini Starters?

KeyBlazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Working my way thru my k10 wilderness camper build, detailed elsewhere.
I have the old starter off, and boy is it a heavy lump.
As I’m also concerned about heat soak from the headers, I’m thinking it’s time for a mini starter…
I don’t know much about them or if they are better..
Something like this?

JEGS Heavy-Duty Mini Starter | Hitachi-Style | For Small Block and Big Block Chevy Engines | Made In USA https://a.co/d/fN2mmnz

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yeah, I’d never run the big brick again
Not sure on the brand, but that price is online with what I paid last time. Typically Jegs is good with customer service

ktmoutfront

You are an idiot. Whoever you are
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Eileen's Corvette will not crank with a stock starter. Even a high torque stock style one. I bought the Summit version of that one. No big deal. And the headers are right there.

swettysblazer

Swetty The Yeti
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Get a factory starter from a 96-99 Vortec truck. Any parts store will have them. You will need to get the correct length starter bolts though.

500$k5

wallet under gas pedal
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I second the Vortec starter. Twice the cranking power, 1/2 the weight, less current draw, and the solenoid can be rotated so you can get to that pesky start terminal. Also aren't affected by header heat as bad.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I run powermaster starters on several BBC’s and two SBC’s. They can be clocked, sound good and never let me down.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I second the Vortec starter. Twice the cranking power, 1/2 the weight, less current draw, and the solenoid can be rotated so you can get to that pesky start terminal. Also aren't affected by header heat as bad.

damn you are tempting me to jump on board... nothing wrong with the one in my truck, buuuuut that all sounds nice. have to swap motors soon, and that thing is definitely a "heavy lump"!

centexk5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
That makes my life easy. Engine I’m putting in my blazer is a 97 vortec block.

KeyBlazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven’t got the headers in that side of the motor yet. Not too tight, I don’t think but I’ve had headers and heat soak issues with my 454 powered Motorhome before, so wary.
Ordered that Jegs unit.
$123 seems good to me, and ordered one of those heat wrap shields too.
Will report back when it arrives.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Here's mine in all it's crusty glory. Starter was given to me, formerly used on a circle track car. Battery cable is in poor shape. Headers are fairly close. Thing starts without issue in sub-freezing weather, or after towing steep hills in 90* weather, and has for 5+ years. Turns over far easier than it ever did with a "new" parts store starter. And so much easier to deal with, in all regards...weight, access, clearance, etc.

full

KeyBlazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good stuff.
Pulled my old one off yesterday. I swear it weighs 100lb.
Did a quick test fit of rh headers… looks fine…
I’m in Ca(for now) so heat is gonna be an issue. Need to rewire that whole area as I see all the wires are toast.

Top Bottom