CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Terry's Quad Thread

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're a brave man Terry. How much did you give for those last two, and what are the deets?
I have nothing in them so far.

The redish one is a 1997 Big Bear 350 4x4 and the brownish one is a 1988 Moto4 350 4x2.

Supposedly they both ran when parked. The red one was disassembled to paint. The brown one had its battery crushed by a trailer that popped off the hitch ball.

These were/are a good friend's from work. He has three young daughters and doesn't have time to work on these. The deal is I get them running and use them and then when my kids are done with them he gets the brown one back.

The red one we've already discussed just parting out. It's on the verge of not worth fixing unless he decides it holds too much sentimental value, which I doubt.

The brown one is the first victim. Once I get to feeling 100% again, or at least a solid 80%, I'm gonna drag it to the pad and get started. He put power on it before he brought it yesterday and he said all the dash lights worked.

Honestly the seats being ruined bothers me more than a lot of the other issues. I can fix mechanical things, but I'm not an upholstery guru.... and I DONT need another hobby....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
And the final piece of the puzzle.

received_321401139605648.jpeg

So far, I've sprayed the cylinders on the brown and red ones with WD40. The brown one I was able to spin the engine over by hand. I think there's corrosion on the cylinder wall where the rings have sat for so long. Gonna put some ATF in there tomorrow and keep at it. Hopefully it'll break free.

This one came with the parts to rebuild the back axle. I've just gotta sit down with the manual and piece it back together.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The blue (?!?) one's motor is free. So now I'm thinking about starting with it and maybe just swapping the back axle from the brown one into it to get it mobile.

These may be more work than I have time for.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Three bikes, ZERO usable carbs. Andrew has given up on them so they're solely my issue now. Gonna get a cheap carb and cobble the blue and brown bikes into one I guess.

Made head way on the blue one this evening. Got the single end throttle cable off the red bike and pulled the double end off this one. Gonna swap to the single cable style carb.

20210624_182848.jpg

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
The weather has cooled down a bit. We got the Chinesium carb, the single throttle cable from the Big Bear, and the replacement front brake cable on it today.

Slow progress but some progress.

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have several Chinese bikes that I have bought and fixed and continually fix for my kids. Carb issues suck. If they sit for more than a month without being ridden the damn carbs plug up so bad I have to buy new ones. Luckily the Chinese bikes are cheap to get carbs for. Seen a neat video on YouTube the other day on how to remove ethanol from gas just using water. I need to try it. I can get ethanol free gas about 30 mins from my house but I seen it was $4.79/gal the other day. Ouch!

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have several Chinese bikes that I have bought and fixed and continually fix for my kids. Carb issues suck. If they sit for more than a month without being ridden the damn carbs plug up so bad I have to buy new ones. Luckily the Chinese bikes are cheap to get carbs for. Seen a neat video on YouTube the other day on how to remove ethanol from gas just using water. I need to try it. I can get ethanol free gas about 30 mins from my house but I seen it was $4.79/gal the other day. Ouch!
It's not that bad here. I have mid grade ethanol free close by. I've had good luck using Sta-bil in ethanol gas for years though.

I need to find a good explanation of this "BTM" style Mukuni carb so I can get it tuned up properly. It is blowing black smoke with a full throttle blip. I think my jet is too large but I'm not sure if the needle plays in to low rpm full throttle mixture.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I managed to clean up one of the original Yamaha jets enough to get a rough size with a drill bit shank and figured out the one in the bike is too big. Gotta swap it out and hopefully cure the black cloud when you crack the throttle open real hard.

A few parts for it and the Kawasaki showed up as well. Gotta get out this evening and start piecing it back together.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got the 88's axle hung under the 93 Moto4 last week. Gotta get the shock and brakes hooked up.

Going to get a set of wheels and tires tomorrow for it. Then piece it back together! Also got a new AGM battery for it.

I found out the 87-88 Moto4s use a different wheel pattern than the 89+ bikes so we've gotta swap the rear hubs on the 88's axle. Shouldn't be a big deal though. I don't know where I'm gonna keep all these things!

Top Bottom