CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Third row seating in square body Burb

Mudbone

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have an '88 Suburban. It's a K20 Scottsdale model. Appears to have been some type of utility/fleet vehicle. Has white paint, a basic blue interior, no power windows etc. Second row seating is split bench. Carpet on the back of the second row seats. Rear floor has some type of blue rubber mat. The interior side walls in the rear are just painted metal, no trim panels like I have seen in pictures of other burbs. It does not have visible mounts for a third row of seats. (I am assuming here that some did have a third row.) I was wondering where did your feet go if you were sitting in the third row? My family had a '98 for a long time and there was a foot well behind the second row of seats for the third row passengers. (Similar to the foot well behind the front seats in my '91 K5.) If you removed the third row and folded the second row to get the maximum cargo space , there where these panels that slid over the gap for the foot well. In my '88 the back of the second row seat has a piano hinge all the way across, no foot well. Is this body actually different than models that had a third row? If not, how did that work?

jeff in co

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, they are the same and flat for that era (up to 91'). The third seat was an option for the suburban, but if added, it was something that just clamped to the flat floor. I wonder if those clamps are still there under the rubber mat?!? Might be easy to add the third bench if you found one.

Mudbone

Registered Member
Reaction score
From an 88' with the third row option....

Thanks for the response and the pics. That's interesting, so I guess you just sat with your knees in your face? Or that was a kid only seating row.

Are all K5s like my '91 where there is foot well? Or do some of them have the second row with no foot well like the third row in our Burbs?

jeff in co

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response and the pics. That's interesting, so I guess you just sat with your knees in your face? Or that was a kid only seating row.

Are all K5s like my '91 where there is foot well? Or do some of them have the second row with no foot well like the third row in our Burbs?

Blazers do have the footwell, unlike the suburbans of that era. In the earlier versions of the blazer, they are slightly different. I think 70's like 74 & 75. Don't know the cut-off. But 80's are all the same up to 91.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score

73-77 blazer had flat back seat area like your burb.
The 78 and up had the footwell.
Definitely a kids only in the back or at least short people

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
That 'burb 3rd row seat is basically exactly the same as my Jimmy back seat. I think you can source the parts you need from a Blazer since the Burb 3rd row was kind of rare in those years.
No it's not.
The blazer seat is bolted in the front, the suburban seat is a slot in the floor.
If he doesn't have the slot in the floor then a blazer seat is easier to adapt because it is bolted in the front

Mudbone

Registered Member
Reaction score
No it's not.
The blazer seat is bolted in the front, the suburban seat is a slot in the floor.
If he doesn't have the slot in the floor then a blazer seat is easier to adapt because it is bolted in the front

Thanks for the clarification. Although, TBH I'm not actually thinking about adding a third seat. Having never before seen a Burb from this era, and only having Burbs and a K5 with footwells, I was just wondering where the hell do your feet go? I actually like having that full interior bed, especially with the second row folded. And I have plans to build a full pullout drawer/platform.
If anyone is wondering, the rubber mat in the rear of mine is OEM, blue to match the rest of the interior. I do wonder if there are seat slots under that mat. But I'm not going to pull it up until I do a full resto.

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, your knees go up in the air. Not nearly as comfy for adults in the 3rd row as the newer subs for sure. But if you have an 8 or 9 passenger vehicle chances are good some of them are kids.

OregonSlimMF

Burban Lover! (Of the 4 wheel type.)
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 85' Burban has the 3rd row seat and it is raised up almost 6inchs. I am 6'3'' and size 13 feet. I don't make a habit of sitting in the back of my own rig but my kids rarely sit in the second row at all and I was curious why and its pretty damn comfy to be honest. The second row is fine and comfy in its self but the third row seems better all around. I imagine its somewhat of a funner ride on the trail too.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had nine dudes in my 87 for a bachelor party trip at one time. I'm the smallest one at 5'8" but I was driving lol.
Nobody complained about the seating.

I did have an 85 the was ex-military of some kind that did not have the floor hooks for the 3rd seat. It was also white, no interior plastics and blue seats/dash.

Top Bottom