CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Trailer with a crane....

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's mounted right at the tire in hopes that that would stabilize it some. This mounting is more "don't spend much to see if I actually use it" so if it works out, I have another setup in mind for long term. And adding a socket for the removable tongue jack as an outrigger is part of that plan.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Success!

20220516_183721.jpg

Lifted it from the ground into the trailer then back to the ground.

Trailer needs a little more bracing than I anticipated but shouldn't be difficult. Also gotta replace the pump o-ring. It was spewing oil out the whole time.

But it works, didn't offer to tip the trailer and was relatively easy to pivot once it was lifted. I'm pleased!

Joel Wilson

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a crane that attached to the trailer receiver and had a little outrigger for stability. Always thought it would be slick to weld in attachment points on a trailer for it.

Your setup is pretty slick too. Strong enough to lift a full 55 gallon barrel of kerosene or whatever into your trailer, or maybe an engine block. Anything to save the shoulders and the back.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a crane that attached to the trailer receiver and had a little outrigger for stability. Always thought it would be slick to weld in attachment points on a trailer for it.

Your setup is pretty slick too. Strong enough to lift a full 55 gallon barrel of kerosene or whatever into your trailer, or maybe an engine block. Anything to save the shoulders and the back.
I saw that one too. It's even higher capacity I think? 2k maybe? Like $400usd? Looks neat.

I might upgrade eventually, I dunno. This seems to do ok and with some heavier mounts I think it'll be good enough for that light duty trailer. A powered winch would be great though.

Joel Wilson

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw that one too. It's even higher capacity I think? 2k maybe? Like $400usd? Looks neat.

I might upgrade eventually, I dunno. This seems to do ok and with some heavier mounts I think it'll be good enough for that light duty trailer. A powered winch would be great though.
Maybe an ATV winch and weld a mounting plate on the upright? My body is not as young as it used to be and my neck surgery recovery is going slower than I expected so I really like this idea.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe an ATV winch and weld a mounting plate on the upright? My body is not as young as it used to be and my neck surgery recovery is going slower than I expected so I really like this idea.
Sorry to hear your recovery isn't going good. Hopefully it'll come around.

I thought about an ATV winch. I'm going to hold off on that idea though for the fact that I don't want to add an electrical system to this little trailer yet. If it gets a ton of use it might be worth it but for now, I just need to make sure it's not a novelty kinda thing from my imagination.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have jack/crane and similar aspirations, but not sure if my current flat bad is the trailer to use for the project..

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have jack/crane and similar aspirations, but not sure if my current flat bad is the trailer to use for the project..
I got caught up in planning and realized I was going to have $300 into this project and still just be a pile of parts so I just set the mast in the floor, drilled some holes and now here it is. It's not in my way in she shop and is usable. I'll beef it up as needed and may decide to change the entire setup but at least something got done.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got the o-ring replaced in the pump, fresh oil in it, and drilled out the holes in the boom for a larger pin with lynch pins instead of the spring pins.

Joel Wilson

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got the o-ring replaced in the pump, fresh oil in it, and drilled out the holes in the boom for a larger pin with lynch pins instead of the spring pins.
300$ is still way better than 4 trips to the Chiropractor and you will get a lot more use out of the crane and the trailer.

TerryD

Mildly demented...
Premium Member
Reaction score
300$ is still way better than 4 trips to the Chiropractor and you will get a lot more use out of the crane and the trailer.
100% correct. But for less than $120, it's functional right now. Just needs a touch of bracing right now.

Then if it rarely gets used, it'll stay as is. If I wind up using it a lot, I'll modify the setup to be even more versatile.

Top Bottom